ID:1278242

What kind of things (do you/should you/would you) do to grab a players attention?

One appealing quality of games based off an existing franchise is a (possible) plethora of players that would be willing to not only try their game, but also be forgiving of anything the game lacks because it models something they already enjoy.

Certain games are like books, wherein you must play for a little while before the game becomes really engaging. What are your suggestions for getting a player interested whether or not this dry period exists?
First Impression is all it takes to decide whether or not you'd enjoy a game. especially when you're creating your own IP. What kind of genre are you aiming for?
Zane444 wrote:
First Impression is all it takes to decide whether or not you'd enjoy a game.
I disagree to a certain extent; it varies for each individual. I never let first impressions decide whether or not I'll continue to watch a movie/tv show or a play a video-game. I was just recently in this predicament, too. When I first started watching Samurai Deeper Kyo, I got the impression that I won't enjoy it. The animation was terrible, the battle scenes only lasted 1-2 minutes, and character dialogue was absolutely terrible, not to mention the atrocious voice actors for the English dub. Nonetheless, I decided to continue watching it. Guess what now? It's among my favorite anime.

There are many aspects that factor in to keeping a player's interest, but the most pivotal one is linear game design. Research shows that the more you play video games, the more creative you become. I guess it all comes to down to how willing you are to accept others' suggestions(digressing from the bad ones, of course), your personal experience with video games, and your overall goal for said game.
A real gamer would know by asking himself what would he like to see in a game to entertain him though it's not the same because he's making the world and their wont be any surprises for him, just for his players.
In response to Murowko
Murowko wrote:
A real gamer would know by asking himself what would he like to see in a game to entertain him though it's not the same because he's making the world and their wont be any surprises for him, just for his players.

Unfortunately, due to the idea of the game being in my head, what would entice me to play the game that I'm making lies solely in the concept and core mechanics themselves. It's as if I'm a fan of the "Franchise creation" in my head regardless of how good it is or how well I convey my idea (for the image of the game in my head is something impossible to create because I'll always have the idea of a perfect game). Therefore it would be ineffective to make decisions based upon my own attractions to the game because they would be vastly different than someone else's.