ID:1278384

BYOND Version:499
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Chrome 27.0.1453.94
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
It stays on "Loading game information" for a while and my page stays blank.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1.) Click the BYOND desktop icon.
2.) Wait for "Loading game information" window pops up.
3.) It will not load up. Or it will get to 100% and not progress.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
It's happening all the time.
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?
Only on this computer. My gateway computer upstairs is handling it fine.

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:

Do you see a progress bar anywhere between 0% and 100% while it's loading, or does it just go to 100% and get stuck now all the time?

One thing I recommend you try is going to your BYOND user data directory (I believe that's usually under My Documents\BYOND now), and find the cfg folder. There should be a file there called localhub.db. Rename that file to something else (we might want to study it later or try reproducing the results) and try again. That's just a workaround but it should fix the issue if you had a one-off problem.
It either doesn't load up or it takes very long to load. I've only seen it at 100%.

I've renamed the file and there was no luck to the "Game information" loading.
I've sent you a private message which you can view in Your Updates at the top of the page (click the spinning atom). I'd like to debug this with you live if possible.

The situation you're experiencing shouldn't happen if your web or hub connections are down, but I wonder if something else could be interfering in a more subtle way. Do you have any antivirus or firewall software that might be blocking the connection?

Also, I'd like you to try something: Go to the Start menu and type cmd. A window will come up. Try opening the BYOND pager, and type netstat. You should see a connection either established or recently closed to byond.com on a high-number port. (Not 80; that's our web port.) If you don't see anything there, that's indicative that maybe something is holding your connection for approval but not letting it complete or fail.
Well, I've decided to contribute to the effort of getting this fixed, due to the fact that I also have the EXACT same problems as OP. So, I figured that I would at least find a solution, so I can get this over with.

First, to clear out any confusion, I have the same Specs with OP, such as the OS and web browser. Now, to move on to what you originally asked for on your last post.

Lummox JR wrote:
I've sent you a private message which you can view in Your Updates at the top of the page (click the spinning atom). I'd like to debug this with you live if possible.

The situation you're experiencing shouldn't happen if your web or hub connections are down, but I wonder if something else could be interfering in a more subtle way. Do you have any antivirus or firewall software that might be blocking the connection?

Also, I'd like you to try something: Go to the Start menu and type cmd. A window will come up. Try opening the BYOND pager, and type netstat. You should see a connection either established or recently closed to byond.com on a high-number port. (Not 80; that's our web port.) If you don't see anything there, that's indicative that maybe something is holding your connection for approval but not letting it complete or fail.

Now, I opened up cmd and did as instructed. Now, here comes the problem. Instead of seeing "Established" or "recently closed", I see "TIME_WAIT". I'm not sure what this may mean, but hopefully you may know or maybe it does go along with your theory of how it may be holding the connection for approval.

Well, I hope this information helps.
Please retest this issue in 499.1194 (and shortly, in 499.1195) to see if this issue is resolved. We've changed the way hub contact works so that nothing should be getting stuck here. Although there's no reason this should get stuck even when the hub is down, it would help to know if this is still an issue at all.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'
I still have this issue in 499.1202.
I think it may be something to do with my firewall, but for some reason I can't access it. My BYOND upstairs on my desktop pc works fine, but when I downloaded it then, I had needed to turn off my firewall for it to work.
I get this too. In fact the loading game resources stage will not end for me. I click play, it just hangs and then I have to click play again after closing the hung window. It works after that but the first time I try to play anything it hangs at this stage.
OK I found out how fix this but follow the steps.
1.exit off byond
2. Find your document folder then if u see byond folder delete it and start up byond. Worked for me :) byond folder I'm talking about it the configs,etc.
Right, interesting.
I just installed byond to my windpwsxp home and I can't get it to pull up at all. I can't log in or anything. It reads game information loading... But yields no progress bar. I've tried deleting the shortcut and going in to my documents and running it and I've completely uninstalled and then reinstalled. All holding with the same results. Can anyone help?
Loading game information*
Sorry wasn't near my computer
In response to Proxytank
Please look into the questions here and see what info you can provide. Per the last post in that thread, I would also like to do some live chat with anyone having this issue. I use AIM, so all you need to do is get an AIM account (free), download Pidgin, and get me your contact info so I can add you to my buddy list and we can chat. I'll be available Monday to chat.
I just has this problem, stuck at the loading splash screen with no progress bad, and have fixed it.

I am running Windows 8.1 in a VM on my mac. I had Shared Folders turned on for Documents which essentially remaps your current users Documents folder to a UNC ie. //vmblah/Documents. It would seem that Byond has issues with when its trying to write files into the BYOND folder in Documents when its on a "network share".

Hope this sheds a bit more light on the bug.
In response to Wh00pAss
My prior investigations into this have turned up network share issues as well. I don't know why network shares should be such an issue, but they are.

I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done if the system is hiding the user data folder behind a network share, other than testing for writability which it should in fact already be doing. I wonder if SQLite is to blame here, if it's malfunctioning over a network share even when we can write files normally.
It should be pretty easy to replicate and debug if you have access to vmware fusion (mac) or workstation (pc) and can turn on the shared documents or just make your byond build save across a share. You might be right about SQLite and networked database privs.

These random occurrences from others might be their families setting their documents across across a network share for backup/security reasons without them really knowing.

It could be something simple like you're building your file path in code, reading out the drive letter where one wouldn't exist due to it being a UNC.

Good luck, let me know if you need any further diags/help.
I'm having the same issue and My Documents are on a network share.
Never mind, I tried the 506.1247 beta and the issue seems to be resolved.
I run win 7 and it does't work for me at all, with all versions above 500. What should i do?
Page: 1 2