And his issue seemed to be present in all previous versions too.
And for me the issue comes up before joining a game.
Yeah, but it sounds like fundamentally the problem is that your university firewall doesn't like something about the initial connection (which is actually probably a fetch to our website, not the hub). He was having problems of that nature with different connections. If we can verify this is the case, then maybe something can be done.
Well now the hub is unreachable again, and the line got deleted from byond.txt. And i did not even restart it.
also i have no problems connecting with trace.bat
and now suddenly in the middle of nothing the old client (498) that trace.bat seems to use has recieved pager messages. what.
Logging in as a guest with the new client does not display the Hub connection failure message.
Do you get the games list?
So far:
-Logging in from my main connection with the old client works fine. I can join games. Paging does not work.
-Logging in from my main connection with the new client does not work. I can start joining games, but am immediately disconnected due to the hub not being accessible. Paging does not work.
-Logging in from my mobile connection with the new client works. I can join games. Paging works.
-Logging in from my mobile connection and then switching to the main connection with the new client works fine for a while. I can join games. Paging works but is bugged. If i close and reopen the program, or some time has passed it does not work. Byond hub is not accessible. I cannot join games. Paging does not work.
-Not logging in from my main connection with the new client works. I do not get the error message. I can not join games. Paging is disabled.
And i always get the games list.
Even if the hub is not reachable
Also clicking the trace.txt file the program tells me to click for the log files, it seems that the file remains unchanged. Curiously enough it seems to contain an old log from YOUR client.
"C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\dung.498.polaris\libdung\client\Ctick.c pp:140
SetShutdownClient(1)"
etc
Yeah, that's just how the files are compiled in. Well, this is pretty good info. We'll see what we can find.
Thanks!
The new client looks really nice and user friendly so i would love to actually be able to use it for playing.
Wait.. which games list do you mean?
The one on the side is always there even when not logged in, but the server list for each game is never available with the new client and the main connection.
So the only thing that changes when i'm in guest mode is that i do not get the hub connection failure error message.
The games list on the left should always show because that's stored locally once it's taken from the site and/or hub. So to sum up what you've said so far:

- 498 works on both connections.
- 499 only works fully on your mobile connection, not your main one.
- On your main connection, 499 can't talk to the hub at all.

The protocols used by 499 and 498 aren't very different, which makes me wonder if it's all that likely an aggressive content-based firewall would block it. There are a few more messages sent from 499, but nothing radically changed. Still, this is my #1 theory right now because nothing else makes much sense.

Another theory I was wondering about is if you have a local firewall directly on your machine, applied to the wired connection but not to the mobile one, where perhaps it's looking for 498 and not recognizing it, and so it denies access. One way to test this would be to try using an older version like 496. If that works, then the paranoid local firewall theory is highly unlikely.
If you can give me a download link to even earlier versions i will gladly try that!
You can look at http://www.byond.com/download/build for older versions. Just get the byond.exe inside the folder you want (496 is a very popular version, although it isn't as stable or secure as 498).
Tested. Had no problems connecting on 496.
Any ... uhm.. updates? Any more information you need?
I tried again today.
The issue seems solved. O_O
I do not know how or why.
I reinstalled the BYOND software from the last file i downloaded and everything is working just fine.
This definitely smells of a network problem. I'd still like to figure out a workaround if possible, but I'm glad your issue is fixed.
Me too lol.
I can't even imagine what could've changed in the firewall over the course of the weekend.
Page: 1 2 3