ID:1280439

Poll: Should PSV have a BYOND App?

Yes 34% (13)
No 57% (22)
Undecided 7% (3)

Login to vote.

I just realized that the PlayStation Vita ran C#, so is there any chance BYOND could be made as an app for Play Station Vita?

I know this sounds retarded, but I feel like if we provided the ability to create on a Vita for free, and then if they became a BYOND Member they could publish it for download via PS Store or over a BYOND Hub, more people would be willing to do this.

My logic on this is the fact Play Station Mobile costs $99 for a license on it plus the fact that there are even more limitations on it than (In my opinion) BYOND has and the fact that NESTalgia going on Steam Greenlight, which seems to have brought more attention to SilkGames and not towards BYOND, excluding Wikipedia, shows potential that BYOND can be recognized as something indie developers can use freely and easily.

In my eyes, here are the pros and cons set forth upon this...

Pros:
-Bigger community to target and possibly be able to spread the word about BYOND and how it changed over these years.
-Memberships upon publishing games.
-Opportunity for new indie developers to use a starting software with an easy and simple code to start out with before going onto the more powerful areas such as C#, Java, etc.

Cons:
-Play Station may not agree with this.
-May cost BYOND a few bucks to create and distribute it.
-Still limited for certain games if we don't emulate mouse by touch screen.

Any other thoughts on this?
BYOND is made in C++, not C#. C# has nothing to do with C++ unfortunately (it's more like Java: Microsoft Edition than anything.) The PS Vita also runs on an ARM processor, which pretty much makes this impossible (as BYOND is tailored for the x86 processor.)
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
BYOND is made in C++, not C#. C# has nothing to do with C++ unfortunately (it's more like Java: Microsoft Edition than anything.) The PS Vita also runs on an ARM processor, which pretty much makes this impossible (as BYOND is tailored for the x86 processor.)

Oh I see, however can't there be any modifications for the app so it can possibly run on the PS Vita and then either make the executable testable via PC Connection?

Most of the reason I wanted a PS Vita app is for creating games rather than testing and playing them.

Would this be too much work to do?
Yes, a lot of work. More work than it is worth at the moment because you can't really predict the potential income from this in realistic terms.
In response to Iobject
Sounds to me like much, if not all, of BYOND is not compatible with the PSV. There's no modifications that can be made. It would have to be made from scratch.
There was talk that the work put into the flash client could also be used to create an open ended protocol for other clients (like an HTML5 client to play a byond game).

So actually, while the server will never run on anything other than a pc, the client is very likely to run on just about anything, if they get to the point where they open the protocol to other platforms, which Tom has stated (I think) isn't hard to do.
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
There was talk that the work put into the flash client could also be used to create an open ended protocol for other clients (like an HTML5 client to play a byond game).

So actually, while the server will never run on anything other than a pc, the client is very likely to run on just about anything, if they get to the point where they open the protocol to other platforms, which Tom has stated (I think) isn't hard to do.

What about the DM Editor and such for PS Vita? If we could do that minus the runtime that would be decent enough for me.
No dude.
I could not imagine trying to use Dream Maker or any other game creation software on a PSP. That would be awful.

Though, playing a BYOND game on one would be neat.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
I could not imagine trying to use Dream Maker or any other game creation software on a PSP. That would be awful.

Though, playing a BYOND game on one would be neat.

PSP =/= PS Vita.

PS Vita is a touch screen DERP.

PSP had less support for things like that but it DID have Adobe flash, so it may work on a PSP to play BYOND, but PSV took that out since Content Manager is back and limits people yet again.
There is no such thing as a PS Vita. You must be talking about the PSP2.
People are buying the PS Vita?
In response to Fugsnarf
Yeah, and I find myself taking it with me when I'm away from the computer. Sometimes I have to watch my sisters kids, and that entails leaving the computer. Half of that time, I'm in Dream Maker on my computer and can't continue and lose the drive to when I return. I'd like to be able to have more connectivity between my computer and the Vita, DM would be a big bridge; but I understand why it's not being done and wont be done. Too small a audience and not near the necessary funding.
Has BYOND ever made its way to Steam?
I'm pretty sure there's more people on BYOND than there are people that own the PS Vita. :X
You can run C++ on iOS and Android. Just saying ;)
Yut Put wrote:
WOO! Let's combine two failed gaming platforms!

Next up: Roblox games will be appearing on the 3DO!

The only difference is people will want to make a game on a PS Vita 9/10 chance
In response to Iobject
Judging by the amount of NO's in your poll, I'd have to disagree.
In response to FIREking
Seems like a waste of resources. A stand-alone Flash client for example would be much more useful.
In response to SuperAntx
Very much agreed here.
Page: 1 2