Spirit Age

by Chris Gayle
Spirit Age
An amazing action adventure game in a fantasy world on mystical islands
Yut Put wrote:
It's kind of silly that you have to make an editor for these things. I understand that the reason you're spending so much time working on the development kit is likely because Zane can't program things himself, and it's impressive and interesting to see, but ultimately I've found that making development tools like this and working with them takes more time than just programming the game.

I think it is a easy for everyone except yourself to see that developing with runtime and code will quickly overpower developing in the black & white for the lifetime of a game. I have also given myself the ability to focus on larger tasks and unique additions to the game, instead of wasting time adding new trees and swords.

As a programmer, if you can automate a task, why would you not?
Is the engine stand alone?
In response to King_LiOnZ
King_LiOnZ wrote:

Nope, we are able to switch between being a player and being a "maker" with a key press.
In response to Chris Gayle
Chris Gayle wrote:
King_LiOnZ wrote:

Nope, we are able to switch between being a player and being a "maker" with a key press.

That's actually kind of disappointing.
In response to IfStatement
IfStatement wrote:

Uh, that's actually better.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
IfStatement wrote:

That's actually correct.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
IfStatement wrote:

No don't get me wrong, it's definitely better for the game itself! It just means that I'll never get to play with it and push it to its limits of what it can do and tweak it and the suchlike.

I'd be nice to have tools like this available for any project someone wanted to make, and if they made it standalone I'd personally be willing to purchase such software for BYOND.
Naaahh
Zane, adding a story line to SA would make it fun, and quests..
So do that and release. Hehehehehehe.
SpiritAge is meant to play like a sand box RPG. Putting a story line and quests alone then releasing, would not quite follow our vision.
Yut Put wrote:
Ishuri wrote:
SpiritAge is meant to play like a sand box RPG. Putting a story line and quests alone then releasing, would not quite follow our vision.

What do you guys mean when you say, "sand box RPG", anyway?

You see that tree?

You can walk up to that tree.
Yut Put wrote:
IfStatement wrote:
SuperAntx wrote:
IfStatement wrote:

No don't get me wrong, it's definitely better for the game itself! It just means that I'll never get to play with it and push it to its limits of what it can do and tweak it and the suchlike.

I'd be nice to have tools like this available for any project someone wanted to make, and if they made it standalone I'd personally be willing to purchase such software for BYOND.

i call it "dream maker"

Sure I guess, but this program makes it easy for multiple people to work collaboratively, and securely.

On the one hand I could spend a week programming such software, not gonna lie I'm not the best programmer and it'd probably have half the functionality that this one does, or on the other hand I could voice my opinion about how I'd enjoy such software and offer monetary value to it.

But then I'd get yelled at for having an opinion, right?
Yut Put wrote:
IfStatement wrote:
Sure I guess, but this program makes it easy for multiple people to work collaboratively, and securely.

i call this "dropbox" and mixed with a little bit of "communication"

The focus of my post was Real-Time editing with security that allowed you to bring team members on who you might not necessarily know all too well, background checks are cool and everything but not having to do background checks > doing background checks.

Any particular reason why you've decided to start being an asshole? Normally you're pretty coolio.
Yut Put wrote:

Dropbox is kinda a terrible tool for source management. It's only good for archiving.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Yut Put wrote:

Dropbox is kinda a terrible tool for source management. It's only good for archiving.

Any particular reason for this? I use Dropbox extensively, we just have a rule of thumb, a seperate directory for each programmer in the project, and backups every major version. It works like a charm.
Yut's known to drift between being an okay guy to being a troll, Plus there's also some hostility with this game in particular.

This is a pretty innovative and interesting program, Handy if you have consoled yourself to not being able to learn how to program properly.
Yut Put wrote:
What do you guys mean when you say, "sand box RPG", anyway?

I assume it means something like Skyrim with a little bit of Minecraft sprinkled on top ( the aspect of being able to create your own worlds and content ).
In response to IfStatement
IfStatement wrote:
a seperate directory for each programmer in the project, and backups every major version.

You wouldn't need to do that with proper revision control. Rather than having everyone working on separately you could have multiple people update the same file and have their changes merged together automatically. If one update breaks the game you can just undo that very specific change rather than rolling back the entire file.

This also works in reverse as everyone should be getting updates as the other programmers push out their changes. That way everyone is working on the same version of the game rather than multiple versions which are outdated.
yuts apparent hostility towards us goes without any good reason. I've never even had a casual conversation with the guy. and from what people have told me Its rooted deep. dont know what's up with that honestly. if I had any ill feelings towards the guy id probably just ban him. just to avoid having any interaction with him.

but that's not the kind of resolve I want.
In response to Zane444
Zane444 wrote:
yuts apparent hostility towards us goes without any good reason. I've never even had a casual conversation with the guy. and from what people have told me Its rooted deep. dont know what's up with that honestly. if I had any ill feelings towards the guy id probably just ban him. just to avoid having any interaction with him.

but that's not the kind of resolve I want.

^^ Came to the same exact conclusion. When one person reached that-- they call me "crazy". When two people notice the same exact traits, it's considered a theory.

Page: 1 2 3 4