ID:1281915

I have a question, one that's probably seen somewhere else, but still. Is there somewhere that commercialization policies are covered? I mean such as can you sell your game, what kinds of subscriptions can you have, etc. Thanks a bunch for reading and answering.
The game is yours, and you can sell it as you want. You can use our subscription system which does some nice tracking of subscribers and handles payments in return for passing us a 20% cut (and helping us out!) or you can use your own subscription system. Note that if you are using an outside IP (eg, a fangame), you cannot use our subscription system (and really shouldn't be selling your game but that's your own business).

We have a standalone installer called byondexe.exe that is more suited to selling a game. Currently we have the contingency that if you use this, you have to sell through our subscription system, but we will be removing that down the line and most likely will be selling this for a one-time fee like $100 (basically as a way to allow a game to be its own independent unit).
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
but we will be removing that down the line and most likely will be selling this for a one-time fee like $100 (basically as a way to allow a game to be its own independent unit).

Would I be able to pay such a one-time fee for using my own installer?
I'm not sure what you mean so you'll have to clarify what it is you are doing. Basically byondexe is the only thing we have control over since we validate keys at the hub. Anyone wanting to use that can just contact us and we can work something out until we have a more official product.

If you are talking about a separate installer, we don't want people doing that because 1) we want to be able to ensure that BYOND is installed properly and has access to updates etc and 2) we use FMOD, for which we have a custom distribution license and technically the redistribution should be approved (as it has been for byondexe usage).