In response to Jittai
Jittai wrote:
I always assumed everyone chipping into BYOND behind the scenes does so as a hobby and on their spare time.

Software of BYOND's complexity costs proper development time, pretty much.
I'm surprised, many Space Station 13 players and players who recently joined or who haven't fan'd a single game are buying byond memberships now, this is great.
I agree, hopefully this donation boom will mark a changing trend with BYOND and continue for a long time. It's about time that people start beating my 'donation rank.' Everytime I see someone else beat me, it makes me happy for BYOND's sake.
--Hello, some of you may know that I haven't donated yet but still collecting money, I am seeing that most of the people who just wants to play for free are ranting about the Advertisements they have to watch before loading up a game. Some people was getting a bug on Space Station 13 and other several games because of the old/new pager but I thought it was already posted so.. I just want to let you know that people are ranting over games.
---Lastly, this Update. I think we should have it once a 4 hours. Each players are just talking to each other over Update except Pagers.
Ads can be removed if you buy a membership and then go to your options and check the turn-ads-off option. This also removes ads before games as long as you're logged into your key.
Yeah, I never saw ads anyway. As soon as the new update came out, I got a membership. ^ω^
$2 a year, sounds like putting a bitcoin miner into BYOND would solve the problem pretty quick? BYOND doesn't seem to be resource intensive to begin with.

http://www.bitcoinplus.com/miner/embeddable

(main: http://www.bitcoinplus.com/)

Also, Kickstarter?
Threw in a few bucks since you guys were just shy of your goal. Love what you guys do. Wish I could do more.
That's pretty fascinating, but I find it doubtful you'd be able to pull more than 0.5 GH/s through the pooled CPU mining and the amount of traffic that the site gets. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.
In response to Eternal_Memories
Eternal_Memories wrote:
Space Station 13 players

Hopefully that will become less of a dirty word around here :v I also hope BYOND continues to do well.

Vehcklox wrote:
putting a bitcoin miner into BYOND

Please never do this. I'll watch ads all day if that's what it takes. You can tattoo them to my eyelids.
In response to Ter13
WHY?!?! I wanted to see the goal come $1 short, then everyone donate large sums after this month's donation-period had ended. :(
In response to MagicMountain
MagicMountain wrote:
Eternal_Memories wrote:
Space Station 13 players

Hopefully that will become less of a dirty word around here :v I also hope BYOND continues to do well.

I've never seen SS13 players as a problem myself. The only issue I had was when the goons came in and forcibly fractured the community to the point where BYOND as a portal was seeing 25% or more of its active users tunneled away from BYOND itself.

Since it looks like a number of goons are starting to chip in, though, I can't say a word.

Thanks everyone! The first two months have been very encouraging. I will do a post shortly outlining some things in the works (having a bit more of a regular income is allowing the focus to be off money-making implementations like the pager and more on the features people have requested).
Woot, thats why we all lov ya tom <3
In response to MagicMountain
MagicMountain wrote:
Vehcklox wrote:

Please never do this. I'll watch ads all day if that's what it takes. You can tattoo them to my eyelids.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I just can't support something when I don't fathom how it contributes to society at all.
Ter13 wrote:
I've never seen SS13 players as a problem myself. The only issue I had was when the goons came in and forcibly fractured the community to the point where BYOND as a portal was seeing 25% or more of its active users tunneled away from BYOND itself.

Since it looks like a number of goons are starting to chip in, though, I can't say a word.

SA as a whole has grown up a little but who knows really, all of that stuff was before my time. It seems like both sides somehow lost respect for each other, I was first introduced to BYOND as a fairly broken platform. I've learned I was wrong (most of SS13's problems are in SS13's code, something many people have said for a long time) and this is a neat place with some pretty okay people.

I can't speak for everyone but I doubt anyone wants BYOND to die.

Tom wrote:
I just can't support something when I don't fathom how it contributes to society at all.

Hah. I think that post might earn more than a miner ever could.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
MagicMountain wrote:
Vehcklox wrote:

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I just can't support something when I don't fathom how it contributes to society at all.

It's a good idea to steer clear of it, Tom. Largely, people are starting to catch on to the compulsory assisted Bitcoin Mining thing. On top of that, there have been massive scandals involving the encryption recently, which led to up to 33% of bitcoins in circulation being found to be fraudelent.

Honestly, it'll probably do more harm than good. For the next few months, it seems like feature implementation might be the way to go, though honestly a complete java port would be the best thing you could possibly do for BYOND, as I've been saying for the last four years. Just getting the application android/ios ready for single/multiplayer games would probably open up an entirely new revenue stream for you guys.

I'm sure if you kept the app compiler on the server (the system that actually compiles the DM bytecode into an android APK), you could monetize it pretty easily.
Support for the server or single-player games on other platforms (eg java, flash, iOS) will probably never happen due to the complexity. If/when we open-source BYOND, I suppose someone could take a crack (of course there's nothing preventing someone from trying with their own system now, as, honestly, a full rewrite with modern games in mind would be more logical than trying to port BYOND). Support for the client-- which is by far the majority of our player base-- is much more do-able as we already mostly have a completed flash client (and have for a few years), but there are lots of issues to consider to go forward with that, and that's why we haven't completed it yet.

As I said earlier, I consider BYOND a largely legacy project since it is built on a foundation of older tools and with an older target design in mind. However, as long as we can pull in some regular income-- and between the $5K/month and the ad revenue it's not too bad right now-- we can support at least one developer full-time to work on stuff completely unrelated to the revenue stream (to be clear, that is Lummox JR, who has been working especially hard the last few months; I generally prototype and design but I cannot afford to stay fully involved anymore). I think you'll see the dividends from that in the next couple of months as we'll be introducing some features for a change. And hopefully that, in turn, will be enough to keep people contributing. We will never get rich of BYOND-- and that's fine-- but I hope it can at least maintain itself.
BYOND vlog starring Tom Hehre?
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
BYOND vlog starring Tom Hehre?

We all know how regular BYOND updates turn out...
http://members.byond.com/byondlabs
Page: 1 2 3 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 34 35 36