ID:1286168

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Well, I have yet to publish a game onto the BYOND's website and use the subscription system; but I understand BYOND takes out a automatic 20% for providing the system, there are clearly some improvements I wish would occur with the system, which would defiantly raise their use.

However; I'm still slowly working on an original game(Lack of artwork and other resources that I feel would fit my vision of the game is severely holding me back from putting more time in) between doing all the programming for a dbz rip* and my life, it's hard to find time for something I can't release even if I finished my work. When/If I do publish the game, once I start using subs; I'd be willing to give a couple extra %s to BYOND, which could be counted in the 'fund-o-meter'(not that that's my goal, it's just another donation method that would suit the broke ones like me).

Feature: SO, I suggest adding in a option next to wherever the subscription system is currently located on a hub an additional 'donation box' to include the % of your profits(either when BYOND takes the rest of their cut, or after. Not sure which would be preferred.) you'd like to donate.

*I only say rip, because that's the only way I know to classify it. I've redone literally all the programming enough that you'd be hard-pressed to compare it to the original source used(Minus the outputs, which I was lazy and didn't re-write half of them). The icon work has only had small tweaks and such, but it's not like it matters much if a fan-game is original or not, at least to me.
+1
+1
While it's suggested in good spirit, this probably isn't worth the time put into programming. I doubt BYOND's returns from this feature are going to be anything significant (if much at all).

Time better spent on the subscription system would be to make it appealing to developers. Give them the tools to make more money (cash tokens) and flexibility for partners / co-developers (split subscription income between multiple PayPals).
Which is why those request exists, and probably why I supported all of them. It's not just in good spirit, subscriptions are a part of the income for BYOND. Supposedly, it makes up, when combined with the ads and such, to around $4,000-$5,000.

It would be easier to estimate the increases in profit with adding a % or two into donations for BYOND, but I'm sure there are SOME games out there that will send all profits to BYOND this way, it simplifies the donation process and makes it more appealing, that you don't have to do anything to donate that money.

Anyway, lets say that all the subs on BYOND average out to $1,000/month, which would mean the total for game subs would be $5,000/month on average; leaving the developers $4,000 in profits and the total donations received from that(factoring in that some people would donate 100% of their remaining profit and a lot of others would donate nothing)would estimate around 2-3% SO, if you average it out to $4,000 it becomes $80-$120/month. That's a decent bit of change, and is equal to some of these larger donations(the ones under $1,000 but over $50).
Well, the reason I say that I don't think it'll turn out as you intend, is because I doubt developers are going to increase the % that's going back into BYOND. For me personally, I have a bunch of project expenses and can't really afford to give BYOND more if I want to improve my game.

I assume the other games that bring in a fair amount are in a similar position (NEStalgia and Rise of The Pirates) since they rarely donate to BYOND to reach the monthly goal.

I dunno. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think this should be considered at least until higher priority issues with the subscription system are resolved. Just my two cents.