ID:1287882

Not Feasible
Applies to:Dream Maker

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
I don't know why anyone hasn't come up with this idea already. Aren't some of you annoyed when people whine and cry about how they don't want to learn the code? Or are some of you wishing that you could or just make this program easier? There are a lot of children who come here to play the games. I can't even count the amount of 13 to 14 year olds I've met in my years here. Only about two of them even bothered to learn DM. Sure, it's a challenge. Sure, it might be easy for you. But sometimes it isn't too easy for others or they're just too stubborn to learn.

So my proposal is: Why not make BYOND into an RPG Maker type game builder with the option to make a game by scratch without the builder?

So before you tell me it won't work, let me tell you why I think it would work: RPG Maker is a very popular game making tool. It requires little to no coding to make a functional game. If you put some effort into it and put in a lot of coding, the game will be absolutely beautiful. Of course, not everyone wants to create an RPG. So why not make it a tad more flexible. But it would be really cool if you were to create an RPG and be able to create mobs with just a click and some editing to make it unique.

Of course, this will be good for making membership-only hubs. It could give you more income and possibly less flooding of the submissions. Many people would submit games that are too simple (or "clones") so make high standards. It would require playing the game a little but to decide if it deems worthy enough but it honestly would work just fine.

Like I said before, I'm not saying that this should override DM but rather, it should be an optional choice. So there is no change and old developers can continue making games from scratch like the old times.

Finally, the way I see this program working is just like the regular DM. You put in your own sprites, code, etc. Just it'll be a bit easier to build your dream game. I feel that this could make BYOND more popular if this was implemented in the future if it could be funded. It could pay off in the long run.

If you have any complaints, concerns, or just about anything to say about this idea, please put your input below. I'd love to see what you think!

EDIT:

What I'm trying to say is that it would be nice if there was buttons or something with pre-written code that all you had to do was edit it. But obviously that's too much to ask and it's not plausible.
Believe it or not, BYOND wants people to come to its platform to create games, not just RPGs.
In response to FIREking
Like I said above, make it more flexible so it won't be for a specific genre. Also, the choice to go to the regular DM to make games from scratch.
It already is more flexible so that it isn't for just a specific genre.
In response to FIREking
You're not getting the point of this post.

I'm trying to input an idea to make developing easier for everyone. A lot of people who come to BYOND for the games who, after a while, want to develop most likely haven't had any sort of understanding of coding until now. It's very frustrating to learn so they either a.) re-use source code and claim it as their own or b.) beg for someone to code for their game day and night. or c.) simply quit.

I feel something like this would be easier for them to make a game. I guess you could call it a lazy method but it works.
Yeah. That would be a good idea and is sort of what I meant by this. Haha. I didn't know how to explain it.
Nah, I'd rather see:

atom.alpha / atom.angle - setting atom alpha/angle values on the fly (changing appearance)
removal of network_delay - this is old system based on modems
optimize dreammaker - its slow (tom is already working on this in 1193)
context/auto-complete - like every IDE has (not a deal breaker though)
debug trace - so we can actually, you know, debug
better internal pathfinding - this is really old and in need of an update, I've talked to lummox a bit about this.

THOSE things will make it easier to work with games.

If you want RPG Maker try these:
http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/

If you want multiplayer RPG Maker, try this:
http://www.eclipseorigins.com/community/index.php?/page/ index.html/gallery.html
Yut Put wrote:
atom.alpha would be paired with atom.rotation

also, those are all things that can't be done by the community. what I suggested was something simple that people could do in their free time if they wanted to help newbies get a foothold in DM

Yeah, but this is in Feature Requests with tag applies to Dream Maker
Still, it would be a good feature to help out newbies.

Not everyone knows how to code. Nor knows anything about it. Seeing the dropped code enough times would be repetitive and help them learn and understand it better. Since the dropped code would be correct, you'd just have to remove and edit the contents. That's how I'd see it at least. Once they pretty much memorized how it looked, they could fly on their own and add new things to their project manually.

I mean... the guide and resources are pretty helpful but they aren't exactly child friendly in terms of vocabulary or if it's alright in vocabulary, they're hard to understand. Or else everyone could be doing it.

Edit: Also, there really isn't a need to link me to RPG Maker when that's what I'm using as an example... I know what it is. No need to get smart.
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
Your suggestion isn't valid because I think these would be better.

>.>

Lol Unfollowing.
Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)
I chose BYOND because it wasn't as "lazy" as RPGmaker. I would live stream slitting my wrists if such additions were made.
It would be an addition, not a complete overhaul. Relax.

Though I don't get why it's not feasible. It really is.

But I guess this is why it's dying.
Please hold on for about 24 hours why I type a very serious response to why I completely disagree with you. I need to see what I can dig up about RPGMaker and BYOND, also GameMaker.
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
EnigmaticGallivanter wrote:
Please hold on for about 24 hours why I type a very serious response to why I completely disagree with you. I need to see what I can dig up about RPGMaker and BYOND, also GameMaker.

I love you.
In response to Porcelain Toilet
Porcelain Toilet wrote:
It would be an addition, not a complete overhaul. Relax.

Though I don't get why it's not feasible. It really is.

But I guess this is why it's dying.

For one, such a system would require a major software rewrite in order to implement such a feature effectively. Secondly, if you think BYOND's dying because it's not Pussy's-First-Game-Maker, then you're obviously one of the many who are too lazy to learn DM. Which might contribute to your reason for suggesting such a stupid feature.

BYOND is more than just a game development platform. Yeah, that was it's intention, it's original design, but now we have something more. We have a tool that kids new to game development can hone their skills and gain the knowledge they need for the real world. BYOND is a stepping-stone to becoming a better programmer and game developer and maybe even a career in the field some day.

BYOND is the reason I'm able to program in C++ as well as I can and I wouldn't be where I am today without it.
--

It's unnecessary and in all honesty, one of the reasons why I refuse to touch RPG Maker. It's just a crutch for lazy developers to put in less work for the framework of their games and ultimately results in hundreds of carbon copy RPGs.
What I'm trying to say is that it would be nice if there was buttons or something with pre-written code that all you had to do was edit it. But obviously that's too much to ask and it's not plausible.

^ I also added that to the beginning post.

I don't mean an overhaul. I just mean a simple addition. Is that so hard to comprehend?
In the midst of my write up. I want you to realize that when you say buttons for pre-written code, it doesn't do us any good. RPG Maker and the like have buttons for pre-written code because it is for the same genre of games, so it is easy to provide pre-written code for the obvious cookie cutter things.

At best your "mob" button would give us..

mob
Jim
name="Jim"

because that is as simple as it can get. You can not make the pre-written code any more complex than that beyond the standard variables. It is just impossible because BYOND can be used to create a variety of types for mobs, and it would get way too annoying with constant pop-up boxes / control menus to cover all variations.

The same goes for turfs, and do not even get me started on what a clusterfuck procs would be.

I will give you this challenge during my write up. Create a mock-up presentation of what you want to see, and what the intended code output would be. Think through this very, very hard.

The feature you are looking for only works for a "one-trick-pony" type of software.
Page: 1 2