Yes. Crazy talk is what it is after all :)
Well the obvious thing is to offer incentives to get byond memberships in the games we create (which I can do but will need time to put it together or some help).

There has to be other ways, I'm sure a kickstarter, from Tom himself (if he is willing to make a video of himself, I know I am not that is why I don't like kickstarter), could probably do wonders.

As others have mentioned the only real thing to do is attract consumers by what we create With byond, instead of the other way around.
^
This.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Tom and his people creating it. There can be a thread to allow users to submit screenshots in (.PNG) format of course, of their games.

Submitting means by default that Tom has permission to utilize the work of art as advertising. Something like that.
If any of you dudes want a shirt like the second one I posted (minus the glowing, they don't do that anymore).

http://www.printfection.com/byond-designs

(Sadly, those are the lowest prices I can set.)
As I say every time these threads "TOM YOU SHOULD START A MASSIVE KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN KTHXBAI" appear, I'd rather him stay focused on the engine. I don't know about you guys but I'd like to see Flash finished, and Tom putting all his time into Kickstarter, and starting a BYOND coffee mug store doesn't really speed up the process.

One big issue with Kickstarter is the found in the OP: there's nothing really to offer donors. Sure their money would be nice, but Kickstarter has gotten people spoiled to the point where if they donate, they WILL expect something in return, and if all Tom offers is "membership time" you can bet your butt they're going to hit the back button on their browser and move onto the next project. It's just not as feasible right now as everyone has been trying to make it out to be.

These threads seem to pop up every other day now. Someone thinks they have a bright idea ( when in reality it's been suggested dozens of times before ), and then the one or two people with common sense who feel like reiterating themselves for the umpteenth time reminds everyone that the way you make a game development website popular is by... developing games. No Kickstarter, no BYOND shirts, no lemonade stands, no prostitution or meth labs. GAMES damnit.
This is brainstorming, you seem to think we are saying things should be concrete.

Take it down a notch, is my only suggestion.

If the situation was explained, people could vow their support with the formal knowledge of the software already existing and being provided. People are already getting something and the offer is to provide that something with a better result, a better attention level.

You can't just state a bunch of arbitrary nonsense and say that is how it is, forget kickstarter.

If you don't try, you can't ever know and failing is just apart of learning how to do it right, if you are unwilling to fail you are unwilling to learn how to do it right.

Tossing ideas out there like primitive stuff, mugs, is just an effort to start the discussion; not something that I really 'expect to be followed' ~ after all I figured I made it somewhat clear I don't know how those services work.
Alright guys, I've been hearing a lot about how less physical merchandise should be offered, and we should focus on games. I can work with that.

Go here for the new post about all this.
Page: 1 2