ID:1291186

Poll: How Often Do Role-Players Quit?

All the time 59% (22)
Here and there 32% (12)
Very rarely 8% (3)

Login to vote.

My next project is going to be dependent on role-playing, so I have a question to ask the role-playing community here.

During your campaigns, stories, sessions, or whatever you call them, how often would you say a role-player bails on you? Meaning they apply for a character, join the story, but it's only for a few days or so, and afterwards never show up again. Does that happen a lot or not so much?

I'm asking so I know whether or not to address this issue with some sort of system in the game that allows players to easily fill roles that others leave behind, but if role-players most of the time stay committed I won't bother.
The best thing, IMO, in this situation to do is to limit players that aren't great role players (yet) to roles less significant to the story. Those players are typically the ones that quit due to either boredom, peer pressure or a sense of failing.
I was thinking of implementing a system where, after or even during a role-playing scenario, players can "rate" each other, and then this rating is always shown, that way when "lorekeepers" ( it's what I'm calling the game masters in my game ) start choosing characters, they can see "Oh, this guy is a good role-player, I'll let him be the main antagonist."

So far, I'm getting people saying its a fairly common issue ( I'm logging into random RP Unlimited servers asking them there as well ) so I think I'll just go ahead and implement it.

DANGIT, Y U NO RELIABLE ROLEPLAYER? NOW I HAVE TO IMPLEMENT A SYSTEM TO DEAL WIT U! I was hoping for people to say "that never happens" so I could skip it entirely. xD
Nah, BYOND doesn't have that good of a RP community. People fall in and out of the RP games, if not due to their own short-comings or boredom, or due to others'.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Nah, BYOND doesn't have that good of a RP community. People fall in and out of the RP games, if not due to their own short-comings or boredom, or due to others'.

And here I thought that the RP community was one of the only things BYOND DID have going for it. Oh well, like I said hopefully the rating system will help weed out the dedicated players from the ones who just bounce around.

The good news is that if I do finish this, I won't be relying too much on the BYOND community anyway. This project is geared towards highly creative fiction writers who would like to see their stories come to life within a game. As far as I can tell we don't have too many people here that fit that description so I will most definitely be counting on external promotion to bring in most if not all of my player base.
I've seen this a lot in my experiences as a roleplayer, and as a roleplay environment manager (cool title right?)

People get excited at the idea of promise, and they get motivated enough to start doing things, enough to take a role and make plans. Then, they suddenly fall off with little to no warning. Thats a lot of people as well, not just a small portion.

I'm sure there are a few causes for why this happens, but what I think it is boils down to human nature and commitments. The more responsibility a position puts on the person, the less worthy it seems unless some kind of payment follows. If these positions you're referencing are vital to moving things forward, the pressure will likely cause these guys to second guess their decision; "Oh.. I dunno about this, maybe I'll go play another game."

A lot of people don't follow through because they don't see promise in continuing to put effort in there. On that notion, I believe its best to mellow out the responsibility somehow, add in a reward to the position you're emphasizing, and have some long term effects.

One thing I'm interested in (being the creator of a roleplay-oriented game), is the prospect of recording everyone's reputation, like you say. I think this, combined with the promise of perks for good reputation, could be a good incentive to keep motivation high and continue on through roles.
I may need to go back to the drawing board on this one. The more I read over the design the more it feels like my game will turn out to be more of a job. Sigh.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Does this mean you'll have a sort of 'history' log of previous RPs? ex: After a decent RP event, make the RP event log a 'book' in-game for future reference.

Would be a interesting dynamic at least.
Acquaintances come and go, it is just how life works.

Infact, it is advocated to get rid of your childhood friends because they tend to hold you back.

As far as RP goes, treat it like DnD treated the situation and just write it into the storyline.

If someone goes missing, you roleplay that into the story that they are gone for a day, got sick and have to stay out of the party, went on a different trail to get switch for your door, just add it into the story. If someone quits you can add that into the story as well, you can say their character died or left the party.

Roleplaying is about living in character and when you do that you must take real life events and characterize them as such. People are bound to leave, real life beckons, it is up to those that remain to pick up the pieces and carry on.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Does this mean you'll have a sort of 'history' log of previous RPs? ex: After a decent RP event, make the RP event log a 'book' in-game for future reference.

Would be a interesting dynamic at least.

Actually, I'm in the process of dumbing down the game now to the point where no one cares if someone goes missing. Still plan to have ratings though. Before the idea was to have the game almost feel like a movie, where you have like, the main hero with his little tag-alongs, a main antagonist, with an evil apprentice here and there, and then a bunch of minions ( these minions wouldn't be controlled by players ). Now I think I'll work to accommodate large amounts of players, like SS13, to where if someone leaves or doesn't show up, no worries, there are still about a dozen more people ( on both good and evil sides ) to have decent role-play.

At first I set out to make this game really controlled and directed, almost like a movie. Someone writes a setting and characters, players fill in the roles of those characters, then you have a designated "moderator" who just makes sure people are role-playing correctly and answers questions and is also in charge of "special effects" like spawning a group of monsters or causing an earthquake. All while the Lorekeeper records what happens every time everyone RPs, so that at the end, the setting and characters will have turned into a complete story and you could upload and share it with other people so they can read your epic tale.

But that's pretty stupid. I must've been high or something when I thought of this. What if the lorekeeper decides he's no longer interested in seeing the people role-play out his story? No other lorekeeper will be like "Hey I'll finish it for you", they'll be too busy working on their own stories. What if the moderator is a no-show? You don't want the lorekeepers and role-players doing it, and if you get another moderator in there you'll have to give them time to read the setting, learn the characters, and understand what point everyone is in the game to understand how to moderate it properly. This concept is just far too reliant on, on average, somewhere around 10 people being very enthusiastic and dedicated to the scenario they've become apart of and I just don't see it happening.

This is why I shouldn't think of new games at almost mid-night, that's around the time my brain shuts down and I can no longer do things, like determine if an idea is good or not. I'll just try and find a way to make it less dependent on EVERYONE and more dependent on the FEW that will consistently come back to role-play everyday.
Yut Put wrote:
The only RP game I've ever invested myself in was Mitadake High. I really loved that game, because of all the goody characters and scenarios that came out of it. From that experience, rarely did people quit. And, in general, competent people seemed to pair with each other. So if you're there to RP, you'll find buddies easily, and if you aren't you'll probably abscond from social interactions and hoard items.

Don't forget about Kumorii's comments.
In response to EmpirezTeam
I think you have the right idea here. I find myself wanting to guide things in my design as well, to the point of handing out a template to fill. That is at times though, I'm much better about it now.

I believe a game designer who creates a roleplaying game should adopt a very freedom-oriented mindset. Your ideas are probably great, but you arent giving them to actors, you're giving them to people who have their own ideas too. They want to create story chances are. Leave the progress to them, and the quality will be relative to their skill.

Even the best script will fail when executed by a bugged compiler =)

Rely on quality roleplayers, thats a leap of faith.
In response to Kitsueki
Kitsueki wrote:
I think you have the right idea here. I find myself wanting to guide things in my design as well, to the point of handing out a template to fill. That is at times though, I'm much better about it now.

I believe a game designer who creates a roleplaying game should adopt a very freedom-oriented mindset. Your ideas are probably great, but you arent giving them to actors, you're giving them to people who have their own ideas too. They want to create story chances are. Leave the progress to them, and the quality will be relative to their skill.

Even the best script will fail when executed by a bugged compiler =)

Rely on quality roleplayers, thats a leap of faith.

Yeah, I find that providing the world for people to create their own experiences and stories is the best bet.
The unspoken and unwritten system that seems to work over at Eternia is that no one person is vital for roleplay to continue. In the event that they go MIA or simply quit, there's always another person willing to take their mantle, or someone to replace them. And this system seems to work pretty well, and keeps the new players in the spotlight if the old players get tired of it.

I think you should design your roleplaying game based off the idea that everyone is replaceable. Otherwise, yes, you will have problems.
Well, I can say that I deal with BYONDs RPing community for quite a while.
And infact nowdays they quit alot... Around 3 years ago wipes used to work, RPers used to dedicate into that certain story etc. But seriously, not only in PWO but in almost every RP game I see, the RP community changed alot, and most of them just join the games at the start of a wipe and try for a rank, if they don`t get it they quit, and if they do get it, they quit too lol.
Wellp, things can change btw, I think its really fact of boredoom...
Also in summer/winter breaks this tends to not happen, so RP works alot better in these seasons...