In response to Tom
I'll be honest. BYOND membership buyers should have benefit in-game but.. BYOND membership buyers should have benefit IN GENERAL. All I can do is only adding pictures on whatever the case may be. Now, I also think that the advertisement "Off" thing is useless, especially for Chrome users.. since most of the people have AdBlocker, which is really useful. Now that being said, why not save money and invest on something just like A2J2Tiwari said? All you have to do is pay a, INTERESTED, developer - right?! There are a lot of thing you could save on. I'll also add that the first time I bought a membership with my old' account, I bought it because I wanted to change my CSS so bad. Now, this time Xirre did it to give me that ability to make a hub for my game. Also, SeymourG .. beware because a group of people have started a game that should bring a lot of people. Their game should be successful ...
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
You don't need BYOND installed for a BYOND game to work... You can contact the support (Tom, lol) and get a BYONDexe key to build your own installer or build your own seeker-client.

I have been wanting to do this for the past several years but because of the membership requirement I was never able to, I suppose I can now though.

Really I put it out of my mind though so I probably should start thinking about it again now that I have a hub once more.

I don't mind having to install byond but it would make the game easier to advertise outside of byond if I made it stand alone, it would also seem more like a professional production.

As for membership benefits I can definitely add those into my game I just need to think about what I want as "rewards", so to say.
In response to Haiji
The problem I see is well. What can Byond offer,Haiji?

I mean as you said adblockers. Well this isn't on Byond's deal if someone wants to get an adblocker. While ads are annoying them just showing up on your site gives about 1 to 5 cents every time a page is opened. When the ad blocker comes up it stops this calculation so in short costing the site money. Byond offering to remove ads it more a benefit they can do. Even if a third party program provides the same service for free.

Further more lets look at some other benefits that if you use 3rd party you can throw out. Pager can be replaced with any messenger service, the provided space for you to save on Byond well third parties offer that too. Even the standalone installer is something many players got around when the rips went out, I know a group had rerouted the hub to work with a psuedo-hub they made on a personal site. (Don't know if this is still possible.)

Either or, what does being a member mean. Well I like to think supporting the system that is provided to us is it's own reward. Though let's be honest, not everyone is so open hearted.

So maybe what should happen is Byond crack down on what it owns. Seeing the new pager lets you view published and unpublished games. So in sense Byond could remove published games from the searches and such from the hub for non-member publishers. This also extending to connections to the hub being in sense, it is a provided tool. This could be a thing.

This also being Byond advertises in house games, another thing they can make member set controlling those in featured. I liked when the first 6 games use to be featured games for the month and this should be a mix of both applying to be seen, and membership support. Being it kind of shows in point that becoming a member would be beneficial to promotions.

Now I know people don't like these ideas, being it is losing privileges we have. This is one reason I support personally is to keep stuff like this open. Hopefully if the requested contests do come up, they are for members only. Being you have to look at, if any user has access to this. There is no guaranty they will support Byond in the first place. Instead of just taking the money and running.

In response to AnthonyHawkina
All of what you mentioned is exactly what we just defeated.

(Except the Pseudo-hub, which I do not think is an issue as I do just this with pondera and its website~ the link functions as a join button so it is technically a pseudo-hub: http://pondera.aerproductions.com)

Byond can offer Games, Byond itself doesn't need to specifically offer anything other than the infrastructure and the software to play and create those games while the byond memerbship helps not only support Byond but also facilitates special promotion of your projects.

Tom needs to maintain his software, not the website and "business" of Byond, because Byond is not a business and it seems that you are looking at it as such, Hawkina. Byond doesn't specifically need to offer "Products" itself, it offers its software so you can Create Your Own Products; So it becomes up to us to do just that.

If it really came down to an answer of your question then I would say: Byond can offer a way to Create your own projects for free and Facilitate Promotion of your projects with a Byond Membership, among other benefits (such as in-game benefits in developers projects, forum avatar, etc etc).

P.S I turned my adblocker off for this website. :P
In response to AERProductions
Glad to hear everything I mentioned as defeated. Apologize for that being I am a little hotblooded on this topic.

I admit I look at it as a business, this being the conversations about money and production. So this is where my mind goes. More at this point putting out ideas on both sides. Being at points you can't just trust people to do the right thing. If the idea is in someones head, either positively or negatively, they will think about it in the future.

More the product point was to Haiji's post about the membership not meaning anything. This being on point, I can see the factors someone would feel like that. Then looking at it what they could be doing, getting a membership isn't so bad. One reasons I came to Byond is the factor you could make it with little to no money invested into a project.

I bring that up, being besides cost for internet connection. Donations for RP Unlimited have been to keep the byond account running. One thing I notice is a lot of people think if you have a successful game, it comes with money. At times being I face it, I think this as an idealism byond faces as well. Because they run the site, they must have money to throw away. This, I know isn't true in any factor being I read the posts in the news. It really seems a factor that if we can help byond profit. It will help developers profit. Thus my passion for these discussion.
AnthonyHawkina wrote:
Glad to hear everything I mentioned as defeated. Apologize for that being I am a little hotblooded on this topic.
I bring that up, being besides cost for internet connection. Donations for RP Unlimited have been to keep the byond account running. One thing I notice is a lot of people think if you have a successful game, it comes with money. At times being I face it, I think this as an idealism byond faces as well. Because they run the site, they must have money to throw away. This, I know isn't true in any factor being I read the posts in the news. It really seems a factor that if we can help byond profit. It will help developers profit. Thus my passion for these discussion.

Agree'd I share that same passion, I am right there with you.
AnthonyHawkina wrote:
Haiji's post ...

I'm finally known ! >:)
AnthonyHawkina wrote:
Hopefully if the requested contests do come up, they are for members only.

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes. Maybe to gain more publicity, BYOND could hold contests and broadcast it throughout the internet so people can join?

Maybe contests such as:

Best battle theme
Best character icon (32 x 32)
Best game in (certain topic/genre)
etc etc.

Thoughts?
I think some of the better contests are:

1. a contest for developers, like best game in a day, or best game in a week... follow the lundum dare format where everyone has to stick with a genre or concept

2. a contest for gamers, like who can get the highest score in a certain period of time, or whatever works for the game. There are some games with a score ladder, but it never gets reset... So people just stop playing and stop caring about points so the whole thing becomes pointless (no pun intended haha).
In response to FIREking
1. I conpletely agree, also I think the contests with size limitations are quite fun (4k Challenge).

2. This will definitely get more participants. I think games where you play through once and get a final score would be best. Anything where you get more 'points' the more you play shouldn't even be considered.
I'm interested in sponsoring a game. I didn't read all the responses to see where the conversation was going and only have a few minutes this morning to throw this out there.

To sponsor, these are some of the things that have to align (early and quick thinking though).
- Good original game that I think will sell on Steam. Simple casual games that we put a lot of polish into are ideal for this like "Acid Rain".
- Paying for art (in-game, UI, and logo's, and etc), paying for ongoing development), invest in servers, steam, advertising and etc.
- Comes under the PopLava business umbrella so I can have confidence in making the above investments.
- The original game developer will get full and appropriate credit for being the game designer and developer.
- We'll work out profit sharing percentages and I'd hope that we can contribute to BYOND as part of that.
- Outside of the administrative stuff (writing checks), I'm capable of a lot of the development aspects as well (likely help there) but I'd rather focus on overall project management to help get the project to the $ line.

If you have some interest but you have fears. Please express those fears here.

Any other sponsor ideas?
Why not ask someone like Falacy, who probably makes tons of money with BYOND..
Just because he has a lot of hit games... Oh who am I kidding. He's rolling in it! Hero's United 1 and 2 gets like a dozen in-game subscriptions a day. He's probably got a looot out of it.
I probably would be in the same situation if my old sources never leaked and probably made other people famous.

Oh well, I got my own project finally.
In response to AERProductions
Just wait. It'll happen.
In response to SeymourG
Couldn't find that game, what game are you talking about?
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
Couldn't find that game, what game are you talking about?

Hero's United 1 & 2 are Falacy's Dragon Ball games.
30+ people on at all times, sometimes over 70.
Page: 1 2