ID:1291315

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Well, I spent three hours yesterday working with code. I didn't finish before I decided to lie down, so I decided to leave DM up. Apparently, my computer had some windows updates to install. Shut down and restarted my computer, closing DM. At first I thought 'Well, it probably saved, right?'. I was wrong. Dead wrong. My soul never hurt so much on the inside, I was so wrong.

OK, maybe I embellished that a little, but still. I would like the option to set an auto save for DM. 'Auto save every __ minutes', where the default could be '0', which is off, and you could enter the amount of minutes you want the DM files to auto-save at. Once every five minutes, ten, thirty, sixty, ect. Of course, a drop-down of pre-selected times would be just as good for me.
Just some FYI on topic here...

If you hit compile and your compile fails, DM automatically saves all of your code files. Same thing happens for successful compiles (obviously).

There's also a Save All in File menu, and closing DM will cause DM to ask you to save any unsaved edits.

In your case, you experienced a forced quit and lost all of your data. An auto-save could be nice, but if we're modifying the IDE for features, I'd rather have autocomplete and object context type stuff more importantly.
In response to FIREking
I know of the existing features, I just didn't think I'd need to save the file, didn't expect a reboot to occur.

Auto-save should be simple enough to only take away minor amounts of development time away from other updates, and would be useful. There are other features that could, and probably should take head though, I agree. It's a decision Tom'll have to make though, weighing the estimated time to complete the feature with the use of the feature. Not trying to say this feature is more important, because it's not and only a safety net for people like me, who don't think to save whenever we step away.
You could always write up some kind of macro that executes ctrl+shift+S every so often for you, I imagine AutoIt or something similar could pull this off.

Or be like most programmers I know, every time I stop writing a block of code I naturally hit ctrl+s, anytime I stop typing long enough to read the code I instinctively hit ctrl+s. Even before I compile (which saves anyways).
In response to Nadrew
Of course, and I should've saved it. This is just a safety net, like I said.
I know what you're talking about. Same thing happen with my projects, etc. with that blue screen that randomly comes out of nowhere..(Which in fact, is ANNOYING!).

+1
Of course autosave would be nice but it would only make situations like these more prone to happen as you become less use to saving yourself.

I save every change I make, I make backups and I click "Save All" every time I change any file.

I've lost too much information in my lifetime not to save on my own.

Not trying to blame you but rather suggesting to make it a habit to save your work, every 5min, by default and make multiple backups on different devices.
In response to AERProductions
Nah, it's my fault. But the auto save shouldn't interrupt your programming or your personal saving. Ideally, it'd work just as the current save does, so you'd be pretty hard-pressed to notice it saving. And a couple of minutes of lost data isn't gonna effect me nearly as much as three+ hours(a auto-save feature wouldn't be harmful, because ideally you'd set the delay between saves, so it'd just save you the trouble of constantly saving).

I'm not worried about making back-ups, I can easily recover the files if my HDD dies out or my computer dies off. Don't foresee having it stolen or destroyed, either.
Yeah I kind of do things old-school to put my mind at ease.

I don't use any online backup services or anything I like saving and making the backups on my own, so I do worry about my electronics going and taking my files thus I make many backups, even cd/dvd backups.

I've lost entire projects before when old computers gave up and I use to not make backups. It hurts, it hurts a lot. In-fact, I've lost entire lives on PCs when they went before I was ready, as a teen.

I'm Preemptively suspicious. :D
In response to AERProductions
Yeah, I learned very quickly how to recover files; most of the time you just need a connector to read the files from the HDD and transfer them onto your new storage device.

What Geek Squad wanted to charge me $150 for, I did myself with 2 hours of my time and a $14 connector from amazon.
Talking about the data link ethernet cable?
I use that to keep a network open between my pcs.

As for recovering files, I have an undeleter but that is about it and it doesn't help for when I shred my files.

I'm talking when electronics die, harddrives smashed into bits and such ~ no way to recover.

Anyway, I do agree that an auto-save feature would be nice but the generic argument against time-saving features is that it takes time, ironically enough, away from more important bug fixes or features.

Even though everyone could do with auto-save, a compromise would be to have Dream Maker save every time it exists, regardless. That would of saved the info but can also introduce some oddities (saving a project you don't want to save when exiting).