ID:1291326

BYOND Version:499.1193
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 21.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

As of the last two or three days when logging into games I have a subscription to it'll fail to recognize me as a subscriber. Only seems to happen occasionally, but still enough to be an annoyance. Reconnecting to the game usually resolves the issue after 1-3 tries.

It seems to be related to the amount of 'lag' between myself and the server in question. I'm guessing some kind of timeout is triggering somewhere. Seems to happen a lot less often when my connection isn't being taxed and/or poorly connected.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

1) Join a game which you're subscribed to.
2) (Randomly?) Fail to have a subscription to said game.

Expected Results:

Subscriptions to be properly authorized and locally cached in sauth.

Actual Results:

Subscription being recognized as expired or non-existent, sauth entry removed as no longer valid.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Seemingly random, but perhaps connected to connection latency.
In other games? I've managed to reproduce this in every game I currently have a subscription to; namely NEStalgia and Eternia.
In other user accounts? I don't have any subscriptions on other accounts.
On other computers? Yes, I've tried on my laptop, and a netbook of a friend's -- both on the same connection.

When does the problem NOT occur?

When it doesn't feel like happening? Seriously though, seems to happen when it wants and not happen in the same respect.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

The last time I experienced this it was during the earliest betas of the new pager and it vanished before I filed a report, hasn't happened since until recently. Back then using a non-beta version of BYOND resolved the problem 100% of the time. Now, however, the problem is happening on both 498 and 499 releases.

Workarounds:

Reconnect to the game until it recognizes your subscription.
I believe this is related to the hub issues we had the other day. We had another user contact us about this and it seemed to be related to the fact that his subscription was new, but that doesn't seem to be the case for you--unless you or the author has manually added those subs recently. So there may be more to this, but I still think the basic issue is authentication being broken for those servers because of the hub issues which have since been resolved.

Have the servers in question all been running for a while (more than a day or so), or are any of them new?
All subscriptions are old, like over four months (years in the case of MLAAS) all of the servers have been running a while and show up on the hub properly.

Also note, it's still happening, just had it fail for me before posting this.
I don't see any server online for MLAAS. Do you have any example servers that showed this problem that I can try?
The weekly live server will be up tomorrow evening. The currently live version of Eternia is doing it fairly consistently though.
One Hazordhu subscriber had over a month left and wasn't recognized yesterday.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
One Hazordhu subscriber had over a month left and wasn't recognized yesterday.

Do you have any info on who, and which version they were using?
In response to Lummox JR
Spartanman, latest 1193.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
The weekly live server will be up tomorrow evening. The currently live version of Eternia is doing it fairly consistently though.

Eternia's BYONDPanel server is running on 496.1138, if that helps.

root@eternia:~# DreamDaemon -version
BYOND 4.0 Public (Version 496.1138) on Linux
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'
I've marked this issue Unverified for now. Even though we know it has happened, there isn't enough information to diagnose the issue.

Nadrew has reported that this also happened once or twice in 498. A bug was fixed in 499.1194 Dream Seeker that might have partially explained this issue, but there's no explanation for 498 nor any followup confirmation for that version. (It is possible, though not necessarily likely, that the offending code made it into 498. Some groundwork was being laid for 499 while 498 builds were being released.) All other users who saw this have reported using earlier builds of 499, so this may be fixed already.

Additionally, a hub bug we discovered last week may have been responsible for some of the issues that were observed by throwing some servers out of whack.