ID:1293504

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I would like a option in each hub entry to make a hub entry (namely, libraries) downloadable by "developer members only" to help stimulate byond's growth.
How would this work in the event of your membership running out; does the library cease to work or do you keep it? And how does one stop one person from downloading it and then sharing the code with their friends, completely making buying it pointless?
They had something like this before - for BYONDscape libraries; you had to subscribe to BYONDscape.
I think BYOND Members also gained access?
I don't think either point matters too much. Nothing stops me from downloading a song on itunes and giving it to everyone (except the law). Same thing with a lot of other software and computer games, for example.

At any rate, its a great way to drum up a little extra cash flow at little to no expense of BYOND (they could probably implement this in an hour?)

To answer your questions more specifically:
1. Yes, you just get it if you're a member. If your membership runs out, well you can't get it again but you can keep it on your hard drive. You're only entitled to updates if you're an active member when the update comes out.

2. Nothing stops you from giving it to your friends, and honestly I don't think it matters much in this situation. It just gives a little more incentive to be a member, "Access to membership-only libraries!"
I'm not sure that the idea of only members being allowed to download libraries is a good thing. Ultimately, in order to add value to the brand, you want them to build games in the platform - so in the long run, it would probably turn development efforts away from the platform.

Just my cents though.
You didn't read what I said, I said make it an option to library authors. Not all libraries are members only. Its only specific libraries that authors want to specify as members only.
This was great when BYONDscape was around, and yes you were given a 1 year subscription to BYONDscape when you became a BYOND member.