ID:1293788

Poll: How would combat be better represented?

Targets w/ Mild Homing 66% (16)
Targets w/ A lot of Hominb 0% (0)
100% Aiming Combat 29% (7)
Point and Click Homing 4% (1)

Login to vote.

I am currently working on an RPG based around a world similar to the fantasy lore from japan. I would like to see the combat more action oriented and I was wondering what some other people might think.
Hey Lifehunter :P

I'd say mild homing, you seem to be edging for a more action orientated RPG, so it feels the best fit.
I went with the same. Point and Click is nice for some MMO's, and maybe even the occasional RPG, but when action gets involved I don't want to use my mouse much and I don't like trying to focus too much on homing. I prefer to just kind of... Well, run around, and hack & slash them until they're gone, or fire off arrows all over the place till they're gone.
mild homing seems to be the best course of action
definitely does. With this being design philosophy I guess we should discuss some ideas for the design. If there is targeting and some homing, but you want to keep your hands on the keyboard for the most part not using the mouse (or if you're like me and clever enough to have an external program to use your 360 controller) what is the best path to take in targeting? a button that cycles the available targets on the screen perhaps? Maybe attacking a person will make them your target automatically? (i.e. lets say I have a ranged attack that only shoots in a straight line, if I hit somebody with it I am now targeting them effectively setting up for an attack that slightly homes in on them if I have one.) or maybe some of you might have some better ideas.
Well, in my opinion it depends on the attack. I think what I usually like best in a fast-paced combat kind of game is to have it where some of my skills are widespread and/or homing, but others either just like shoot forward, or hit x y and z places, or shoot in multiple directions, etc, etc. Then, with melee I'd expect to be able to chase my opponent, and try to hit them and such but maybe have a couple skills that let me rush at him faster or charge in for one hit.

Now, granted a mouse can be used in this if you want. It's possible with point and click, but it does seem to be a lot less popular on BYOND, and it is tougher to work out properly; especially if you want to have 360 controller compatibility. So, that is why I'd say stick with keyboard controls.

Edit: Just fixing a typo I didn't notice before. Meant to say possible, not impossible.
I don't want to create a new topic for this since it is a related topic in both that it would be going to the same project and it has to do with combat/game play in an action RPG. Does anybody know how efficient BYONDs native pixel movement ends up being during online gameplay? If I were to make an action RPG with pixel movement I would like to see it running and have collision detection for combat similar to a game like Seken Densetsu 3. TY toe verybody that is helping me in answering these questions.
In response to Lifehunter
I could easily be wrong, but from what I've read, and what little experience I have with it I think that it's very good but it will change your limits a bit.

For example, given the scale of the game, and everything going on you might have a good action RPG running up to 50-60 players without lag when using tile based movement, but with pixel movement it may only be 25-30 players.

This does, however, obviously depend on what your FPS is set to, what your step size is set to, and how intensive your game is. I don't think this is a problem with BYOND at all, because if you think about it people often use a step size of 8 or 16 with pixel movement, and that means every move your player makes is like 4 or 2 moves when you're using tile based movement, etc etc.

Now, in either case, you may want more players than that, heck you probably want as many as possible, and that is fine; you can increase the limit in either case by hosting multiple servers that either use their own save files or use multi-server saving via central server saving or mysql database saving.

I'm sure someone with more experience can, and at some point will comment on this, and as I said before I could be wrong about some of this, but I hope this response helps you at least a little bit.
My idea was to have "channels" with 20-30 people on them anyway. 20-30 people seems to be the limit most original games get right now anyway but I hope to push that if I can make something good. I'm really in this for BYOND as much as I am for myself. I would really like to see something draw people and money in.
I think something like Casual Quest would be nice (100% aiming combat)

I think Zenonia was something like that too (or was it mild homing..?)