Make My Dream

by Kidpaddle45
Drag & Drop instead of code.
ID:1295483

A short video showing Make My Dream in action.

*Watch this in 720P to be able to see the text.
Love the current progress on this!
This is all thanks to your constant help!
Amazing.
Well, I was pretty skeptical about this. It sounded like an idea that wouldn't really work in a way that would be helpful. You have, however, proven me wrong. This video reminded me a bit of a video I saw for Dream Weaver, or something like that. I always design my websites by programming myself in things like notepad ++, but someone I know does it in that program with the drag & drop features. I could definitely see this project of yours leading to a similar thing for BYOND, and that would be great in one way or another.
I'd love to see how this goes. I think with the right amount of documentation with things it could go well. (For example, I don't see new people knowing that they would need to look for a mob to make it move, thus not knowing that they need to drag the search feature in)
Thank you for the positive feed backs, it motivates me. I really hope this tools encourages new developers with no experience to at least TRY and learn.
My goal is to develop a tool allowing easy game creation while teaching.
In response to Kidpaddle45
Well, you're off to a good start in my opinion. I've seen a pretty good bit of the new developers do a lot better when someone gets on something like skype, or teamviewer, or something and lets them watch how the programming goes; so I think this might give a similar effect.

Some people just plain learn easier from actual visuals, and then there's the crowd who just want to jump in with little to no reading; this kind of helps out both of those types. So, keep up the good work!
Get ready for the best part.
V.0.7 will feature Intelli-sense (Which is already working)

Little Sneak Peak: http://www.byond.com/games/hubpic/104136_13097.png
In all seriousness without being bias just typing is way better in my opinion. The only thing this "Make my dream" will do is help people learn how to do things with BYOND.
Oh definitely. I repeat: Do NOT consider this as a tool to replace dream maker. It is a tool to learn how to program while creating BASIC games. As this gets updated it may get more powerful but I can't see this doing what dream maker does.

The Intelli-sense feature is definitely going to attract a lot of people though.
If you actually interact with your audience and make an example game using "Make my dream" in videos numbering them I'm sure that's the only way it'll attract a-lot of people.

Else it'll just be in a corner on BYOND.
Ehhh...I'm not too sure about that. xD
We'll see.
Consider it.

Taking that step is what BYOND needs. If you truly, want to help it take my word. Be the guy that actually makes video tutorials and give new customers a reason to stick around. Be the guy who makes things fun.

Right now new customers see only thing: A handful of hating douce bags, a poor engine with only text guides. The text guides gives a path to walk down but it's best if the path is revealed so the customers don't have to walk down it and explore what they want to. Meaning if they see how things are done they'll be able to experiment on what they've always wanted to do and get things done quicker and have things much less boring than what they are.

I'd do it. But I'm just the man with the plans.
I was thinking of having tutorials in another browser with pictures showing how to create the game step by step with the actions.

If people prefer video. I'll do the videos! =P
Pretty sure they're gonna want the video. Scrolling the pictures is so old school; It's like reading Egyptian Hieroglyphs.

*Imagines people touching their computer screens squinting as they're trying to understand the .jpg screenshots whispering to themselves.*
XD
Now I need to create the database of suggestions.
Anyone interested in helping me with that?
It should show a proc and the parameters inside of it, for ex:
"fin" - > findtext(Haystack,Needle,Start=1,End=0)
Wow I saw this idea awhile back and thought it wouldn't go anywhere, The byond community is a motivated strong force when it wants to be!

If this is possible just think of the Naruto games we could make! (jk)

Keep it up mate!
Bloodocean7.
If you have skype, add my personal one "MagicalMRC" I would like to discuss this project and seeing what can be done to improve its look and feel.