ID:1298936

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
So, I've been trying to help a friend of mine learn how to program and design games on BYOND. He has been doing okay, but he usually gets online a few hours before I do, and when he got online today he needed to find some tutorials or demos for working with skins; the first thing I thought of was resource repository but he didn't know about that so he went into checking the most popular tag under resources and wasted two hours of his time trying to find something that wasn't there.

I know what you're thinking, why didn't he see the resource repository at the top? Well, he read the first two, has gotten a bit beyond them, said nope and moved on. Lazy, I know, and so does he, but unfortunately this is probably pretty common.

It is pretty easy for a newcomer to miss a lot of the most valuable pages, or resources for learning how to program and create your game around here, so I was just thinking maybe a step in the right direction would be to have it so when we mouse over Developers right below Reference there is Skin Reference and Resource Repository?

Honestly, there may be better options, but this is the first one to come to mind. I think BYOND has a lot of good tutorials, resources, etc, but they're just not easy enough to find for the newcomers. Especially if you consider that a lot of the community is pretty young and likely to go rushing toward the things they can find the fastest.

Plus, a lot of it focuses on the extremely new people, which is good, but if they've already read the guide and learned a bit, or they feel too confident, they skip over something and miss things they shouldn't skip in the process.

Anyways. I'm rambling on a bit too much now. I just think we need to promote the resource repository and maybe a couple of other things a bit better, and get them into the eyes of newcomers sooner and more frequently.