ID:1300435

Not a bug
BYOND Version:499
Operating System:Windows 8 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 27.0.1453.116
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary: Whenever I run from the source without access to the internet I've found that there is a long pause with the screen blank before the game opens; the amount of time suggests an ad should be playing but there is just black if I recall correctly.

Now, if I do it with internet access, but without being logged into the pager then I get an ad even when running from the source as a guest. I don't remember this happening a couple patches ago, but that was before I transferred to a new laptop with windows 8 instead of vista, and I had my password saved so I wasn't logging in as a guest. The second one is likely the difference.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:For issues one: 1: Open a project in DM. Anything you can run. 2: Keep your internet off and run from the source to see the first issue.

For issue two: 1: Open a project in DM. Anything you can run. 2: Don't open or login to pager, and don't have your password saved, then run from the source.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem: Unnecessary

Expected Results: To be able to avoid ads entirely when running from the source, no matter what.

Actual Results: Ads play during offline work, or when your account is unavailable for auto-log in.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Not tested.
In other user accounts? Not tested.
On other computers? I think so, but not tested well enough.

When does the problem NOT occur? Having internet access prevents issue #1, and having your password saved should stop issue #2.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? I'm pretty sure it would occur in any version that utilizes the new pager. I'm using the latest 1195, for the record.

Workarounds: Don't work with Dream Maker while your internet is having an outage and make sure your password is saved? Haha

Neither of these are a big deal. It was two different, and very rare events that made me notice them. It's also tolerable, but it does get pretty annoying if you need to test little changes frequently.

The strangest part is, there should never be ads when running from the source, under any circumstances.
In response to Kaiochao
Right. It surprised my quite a bit. Also. It seems I was wrong about saving my password. I don't remember having the issue in vista home premium, but here on my windows 8 I get ads when running from the source whenever my pager isn't running.

I'm thinking the reason the offline mode just shows black instead of ads is because it tries to run an ad, but it can't connect to the internet; so no can do.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
The strangest part is, there should never be ads when running from the source, under any circumstances.

If the source is in the same dir where games are installed, that would come up.
In response to Lummox JR
Ah, then should I just move things around a bit? or is this something that'll be changed? I don't really mind either way. I just wanted to report it since it seemed like something that was not intended.
In response to Toddab503
There is no plan to change the current behavior. The install dirs aren't intended as a development environment.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)