ID:13011

Considering I lost the source to StickWarriors RPG Edition!, I need another project to fully focus on. So I started The Volcano recently.

It's nothing yet, only graphics though. The only code in it are turf-definers, I didn't even bother to set densities, nor did I start on sprites. >_>

I haven't bothered thinking of the storyline, except for the fact that the most important thing in the game will be a volcano a bit above the hometown of the main player. And please, don't come with any suggestions. I just want to finish graphics and such.

Why all that carelessness? You see, I don't want to start programming until BYOND 4.0 - considering then all the nice features will come out.

But yeah, I said "screenshots", so here they are:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
A house.

The place that leads to "The Volcano". Although, there will be men guarding infront of the fences. So imagine two guards around there.(I don't have sprites yet, as I said earlier)

Field with a bridge.

A bigger screenshot.

The village may be a bit empty(yes, al that screenshots you saw are one village), but I recently finished the house-iconset, and I only made one house. To those who're interested, the way I will be setting up icons will be in sets. All different .dmi files for every set(e.g. waterset, or houseset). Every set will contain a ...set for the ...thing it's supposed to be.

The houseset, for example, exists from a wall, sides of a roof, the roof itseld, etc - so no .png file for each type of house. I know many use this method, but some people still end up drawing complete .pngs for every size of a type of a house. That is wasted space. Consider this a tip to every random person who wants to save alot of space.

Please tell me what you think of this. And yet again - please no suggestions about the storyline. I don't want to even worry about it yet.

[Edit]
O-matic © 2006. All rights reserved. None of these screenshots nor any turfs may be used/published elsewhere without my permission.
By the way, I'm still planning to make some trees and plants for the decoration. It all looks abit bald now.
With trees& such, it will look great!
If 4.0 will be introducing tons of new graphical features, and changing hardly any of the atomic system (the code for how turfs, etc., work), then why do graphical work in anticipation of 4.0? It'd make more sense to work on the background code (things like saving, guilds, inventory, how your game basically runs) and leave the graphics until the release of 4.0.
This is where Vertex comes in and tries to rip your graphics. He'll also be trying to rip your game....
I don't really care about the graphical features. It's also lazyness that's bothering me, considering I have alot up to my mind recently. But I guess you're right.

Bigdoid - Thanks for reminding. Putting a copyright there.
Never forget about the evil lurking to steal your work. :D
I'd also like a bit of feedback on the fences. Do they actually look good? If not, what can be done for it to be improved?
I don't see any lava. How can you make a game called "The Volcano" without lava.
What Scoobert said.

The fences look fine for an overhead RPG.
Until you mentioned that they were fences, I had taken them for decorations on the ground, and sticking out of the side of the bridge. The problem is one of perspective. You house, as with most RPG sprites, is seen from a 'super distorted' perspective where y and z (in the game world) are represented by the y axis on the screen. Your fences don't agree with this perspective, and so look to be lying down flat on the ground.

As holds true of lighting, the important thing to get right is that all the sprites agree. If all of them are seen from the same perspective, they'll look fine.
Scoobert - the main goal of the game will be to prevent lava from reaching the village =P. You see. the village is on the foot of the volcano.

IanPerigine - thanks for the advice. Now I see what's wrong with it. I'll either draw new ones, or adjust them. But the last is a bit hard, but I'll try anyway.
http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/9071/untitled1de1.png

Okay, I redid the fences(only the 'vertical' ones). Do they look good now?

Bump.
Can we see the foot of the mountain again? Where the horizontal and vertical fences connect? That one looks good, but you can't tell until you see them together.
Ah yes, sorry - I forgot to show them combined with the horizontal ones.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/200/untitled9ie.png

EDIT: As you can see, I added trees, flowers, plants and such things.
Lookin good!
How the hell do you stop lava o.o?
A bit of magic will involved. I'm going to create an sanctum inside The Volcano which contains alot of secrets and magic - and you need to do some magic thingie to de-activate that magic. I don't have it all figured out yet, but for a bit more info see ID:459852.
How did you get so good at pixel art?
Page: 1 2