Can you test this in the 1194 build? Theoretically the behavior should be identical to that build.

A test project I could see this issue in would help. FIREking's test ran fine for me when I fixed the core flickering issue I found.
you need a blank icon state in that icon file, or map runs in text mode
The issue you're seeing isn't new, and is a separate bug. The problem is your null icon has no states defined, so instead of having a proper blank icon, the code thinks it can't find the icon it went to lookup, and it goes to a fallback appearance. This is something I can fix, but a simple workaround is to add a blank icon state in null.dmi.
To be clear, the demo had two problems. One is that you uploaded test.rsc.lk instead of test.rsc, so it needed to be recompiled.

The other problem, the one that triggered this separate bug, was that null.dmi contained no icon states. That was triggering some fallback behavior that was slightly broken, probably on account of being seldom used. If the Appearance was known but the icon was not, it was using the fallback Appearance to grab an icon. But instead of grabbing just an icon, it was also grabbing all the other info from the fallback, including maptext.
Page: 1 2