ID:1304775

Resolved
BYOND Version:499
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Chrome 27.0.1453.116
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
So I installed the new BYOND update, it was stuck on the "Loading game information" screen for 10+ minutes so I decided to uninstall and reinstall which still didn't work. It's been loading for atleast 20 minutes now and it's pain because it didn't let me use the old pager for talking.
A similar problem I had in older versions is that browser windows wouldn't be displayed properly while running byond so I couldn't play certain games. I think this problem is linked to that and people said to update IE explorer but that didn't change anything. If BYOND needs any other support software to run please tell me.
Link to image : http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/7784/ycbs.png

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Always.
In other games? Games won't even load.
In other user accounts? Can't log into byond account on pager.
On other computers? No.

When does the problem NOT occur? It always occurs.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? The began after installing the new update, probably any other version would work. A similar problem did occur on the older versions however with browser pages having a white screen.
There have been other reports of this, but I still have no idea what could be causing the problem. I'll need some diagnostic info.

First, it would help to have your exact build number. Which version did you download (major and minor)?

Go to Start | Run... and type "cmd". In the window that comes up, right after you start the pager, type "netstat". That should show you which ports your system is connecting to. I'd like to know if your pager is able to contact the BYOND hub, which it should be doing on (currently) ports 6001 or 20002. The pager will also attempt to make some Web connections (port 80). If it's failing to connect completely, I wouldn't rule out a problem with a firewall or antivirus program.

In your BYOND user data directory, find the file cfg\byond.txt. I'd like to see the contents of that file as well.

If you haven't installed BYOND as an administrator, I recommend trying that next.
[499.1196] - The version downloaded.
After running cmd it only showed a list of TCP ports and none of them where 6001,20002 or 80.

This should contain the files.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gdc5k3231mt7fpn/QHHjLbMV7E

I'll try the last option.
Edit: Re-installing as administrator didn't work.
According to the byond.txt file, it looks like some site and hub contact did happen. It's not clear to me why, if it was able to contact the site, localhub.db hasn't been filled in. That file should be much bigger.

One thing you can try is renaming that, and seeing if it fills in for you now. The shm file can be deleted outright.
I renamed localhub to LH and BYOND decided to create another localhub file. The shm file only exists while run so it can't be deleted. localhub.db stayed at 34kb after executing the file.
byond.txt :
hub-address-known 6001&20002
pnews_time 1371283957
hub-address2 20002
hub-address-time 1372371612
hub_mtime 1372370555

And right after you start BYOND, netstat shows nothing for 6001 or 20002? It might show port 80 as "http"; sometimes it likes to name ports. I would also try "netstat -n", which will put everything in numerical form. BYOND's site address should be very similar to the hub address.
I retried and it only said this and nothing else:
tesla.byond.20002 TIME_WAIT
There's a fix in 499.1201 that impacts localhub.db. This may or may not clear up your issue; please let me know.
Problem not solved. Still stuck on the loading screen.
I recommend reinstalling BYOND as an administrator. If that doesn't work, try altering the program compatibility settings for byond.exe and dreamseeker.exe to run as an administrator.

It would also be helpful to know which antivirus software you're using, and whether temporarily disabling that solves any issues.
Nope, that doesn't work at all. BUT I FIXED IT ANYWAY! I reinstalled windows xp because my laptop kept crashing, now it's fixed and I can enjoy byond :D This probably means that it's a program that's causing byond to unstable, or a program that's simply missing. Whatever that program is, we won't know for a while.
EDIT: The antivirus I use is Iobit malware fighter and Advanced System Care, but those don't have firewalls and I ALWAYS have them turned off.
All's well that ends well, I guess. I wish we knew the exact cause so we could help others in that boat, but glad to know your situation has been resolved.
Lummox JR resolved issue