ID:1309636

Poll: What do you prefer in a game - Rounds or a Continuous Story Mode?

Rounds 27% (10)
Continuous Story Mode 41% (15)
Both even? 30% (11)

Login to vote.

What do you prefer in a game - Rounds or a Continuous Story Mode?

*Rounds - A new round is started after the objective is cleared. Stats and such are not saved, though more knowledge of the game is gained as you play.

Edit:

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Rounds being small story modes, though they do time out after let's say 20 mins or so.

*Continuous Story Mode - The game is played like an RPG where stats are saved. More knowledge of the game is gained as you play though leads to things like Wipes if it's an MORPG ~~Typically~~. (After a while ofc.)

Just wanna know so it can help me see what the audience prefer!

Leave a comment below if you want on why you chose option A/B/C.

Thanks!

--No going off topic, or trolling please--
Well, the story, and you could have rounds of fight..just random tournaments..or idk.. i voted both '-'
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Rounds being small story modes, though they do time out after let's say 20 mins or so.

But thanks for your opinion ^^
cant take out my vote btw, round seems cool so people wont get too op and new ppl wont be like '' ah i have no chance on this shit so i'll not play''.
Change my vote to rounds :D
Wipes aren't typical in any MMO. The Point of long term game play is to build investment in the player.

You should take a look at what type of game you are developing and plan this out ahead of time taking into consideration of mechanics and such. Common sense usually helps.
Cont story mode ofc.
In response to Jittai
This. Which you use depends on the type of game you're making. I'd expect a MMO to not reset often, I'd expect something that has rounds to reset at the end of every round.

It's common sense and I have no idea why you'd need to ask it.
Dont even think of classifying SAO as "Rpg" cause the show is far from it........
In response to Jittai
Jittai wrote:
Wipes aren't typical in any MMO. The Point of long term game play is to build investment in the player.
However the reason I made this is to help me see what people like or what in a game.

Therefore I am planning this out, hence the fact is I've hit a road block due to not knowing what the community prefer.

Though my information may differ from you, I'm talking about BYOND MMOs (not that there is much difference).

Common sense usually helps.

So do commas in sentences.

But thanks for your time.

If it's MMO-like (as in, progress your character up to some cap, play increasing numbers of new quests/content etc), then I'm not sure why you'd wipe, per-say.

Now if you were say, looking to have a story play out, the wipe serves as an end-point for that, a la BYOND roleplay RPG whatever they are games.
+1
------

I for one dislike wipes.
However the main reason for this poll is to help me make my mind up.
My grammar is correct. Good luck with your "BYOND MMO".
No need to be malicious.

In the first place, I didn't ask for enlightenment on what happens in most MMO's e.g Wipes and whatnot.
In response to Kboy33
"Poll: What do you prefer in a game - Rounds or a Continuous Story Mode?"
Jittai, please refrain from spreading your rage butter all over my topic.

If you want to talk to me about your infinite knowledge on game making, PM me.

Otherwise, please state what round you would prefer and why or get lost.
I'm not especially upset by anything in this topic, I just pointed out wiping save-files isn't practiced in most games, especially for the case of "keeping things fresh". But you "don't like wipes" so I'm not sure why you attacked my grammar of all things, which incidentally was not incorrect, or why you seem upset.

The decision you're making seems silly since if you have a thought of what you want the game to be whether or not it should be persistent or round-based should be obvious.

Sorry for stating my opinions and views on your thread about asking for opinions.
Girls, play nice! At any rate, neither one can inherently be compared to the other, in reality. They're both wildly different approaches of doing two different things.

Round-based play is for games that have an end-goal or an objective (or many) to complete, such as board games. Continuous-play is really only utilized in dynamic RPG's such as MMO's or Role playing, and even Role playing games are sometimes subject to wipes.

Deciding which method to use isn't really a question of, "Which one?" but more a question of, "What am I doing?" That'll decide it for you.

The only off case of this, as I mentioned before, is with Roleplays. Although roleplaying can't exactly be expressed as an independent genre, more of a modifier to an existing one. Roleplays that are generally continuous often fall into a wipe after a while, just to keep everything fresh and fun. That's really the only exception.
Well, I'd say round based is good with a few modifications to what you said before.

In a Round Based mode, I'd prefer a certain stat be kept. For instance, something like gold where you can buy certain equipment for rounds or things like that. Stuff that adds bonuses you could say. Maybe even something like a skill point system or something. Something to give the players who play more something beneficial. I'd rather not play a round based game if every time it resets and you really get nothing. That doesn't really give you any... motivation to stay on the game.

Story Modes are a bit different... I don't really prefer them all that much if there's a PvP element. Unless it's a really in depth system where strategy becomes a thing at later level or at the level cap. If they don't have a PvP element, they're good as continuous stories. You wont feel under powered when you meet someone who's played for 300 hours and has every item in the game or something.

So it's really a coin toss up I guess. Round based with rewards that can carry over to more rounds is pretty good. Level capped continuous modes are also fun, as long as they have strategy involved in later levels so they don't become super easy/one sided fights.
Thanks Solemn and Kyle! I was thinking along your lines Kyle, for Round based.
Well, rewarding players for doing well in a round is always good. It keeps the sense of competition and provides a method of progression without alienating new players that might otherwise be doomed with being underpowered.

My advice would be to have some in-game currency that you collect at the end of a round and that let's you buy things like new character icons, colored text, ect. Things that are fun to have but don't really change the game. Although you could have a few items that help their character slightly for a next round, say maybe a small health buff for a damage perk that's consumed after a few minutes or when the round ends.

That way, experienced players can still feel superior, but it still gives the new players a chance to come out on top, albeit a bit harder.

At the end of every round, everyone should get SOMETHING though. If the players on a team lose and get nothing, then it's very frustrating that they've wasted all that time for no gain. After a streak of losses, players will get extremely frustrated and probably quit altogether, and you don't want that.

World of Tanks uses a great system where they have a daily multiplier for the first victory of the day. Whether they keep playing after that or not, it's almost instinctual for players to get those bonus' everyday, just so they don't go to waste, and some holidays or special events will even raise the multiplier.

Just something to whet your thoughts.
Page: 1 2