ID:1315323

I've been the artist for a particular comic for a while now. But my art has remained at this most basic of levels because I never actually tried to improve. So I will be starting a new comic where I will not only try to actively improve my art, but also tell a kickin' story.

What do you think? :hidesunderbucket:

Edit: I'll just be posting everything on DeviantArt from now on. You can check out my stuffs here.
Lugia319 wrote:
I've been the artist for a particular comic for a while now. But my art has remained at this most basic of levels because I never actually tried to improve. So I will be starting a new comic where I will not only try to actively improve my art, but also tell a kickin' story.

What do you think? :hidesunderbucket:

Everything is good, but the legs look a little too fat.
I believe if you work on shading and positioning will help you improve a lot right away. Very good angle on the wing on the right side of the page, make the tail a little bit more noticeable, was bit confused when looking at it and the wing.
Wait, that's a tail i didn't notice it. Also, i think Garyole's tails are like those pointy ones am i right?
Colored it in.

It got a favourite on deveiantArt, so I'm quite pleased. ^_^
Nice job lugia :D

I had a go at colouring it in as well.

Consider my art nearly as good as yours and you will soon become amazing :O mines pretty bad in all honesty lol

good luck with improving and your comic :)
I'm not much for giving CC or teaching or whatnot so I figured I'd just knock up a version, just to show you what it could look like with so work and practice.

Mechs Gorgoyle

Not that this is great it's only about 45mins to an hours work for the full piece, and is still at a very rough stage.
45 minutes? It took me 3 hours to draw the first sketch and another hour to colour it in :/
In response to MechaCloud
MechaCloud wrote:
I'm not much for giving CC or teaching or whatnot so I figured I'd just knock up a version, just to show you what it could look like with so work and practice.

Mechs Gorgoyle

Not that this is great it's only about 45mins to an hours work for the full piece, and is still at a very rough stage.

It looks amazing i love the moon.

The wings look like they have two fingers sticking out of it.
In response to -._.DreamBunny._.-
Mechs Gorgoyle
Some tips that might improve this even more, use the same texture as the gargoyles (his left arm). Tweak the color of the stone like texture a bit, possibly remove the shine areas might had just not been colored in areas where wings are in front of the moon. Show the difference between his butt and chest, to me he looks more like a goatgoyle atm to me since the difference between chest and butt don't seem visual to me, I would think there should be a butt since can see the tail attached to it and seems to just be the chest. If i divide the chest in half and what should be about the butt area he appears short in the midsection to me. (Stare at the gargoyle for a bit and follow up the path of his arms to shoulders to his back and then view his butt and chest. Possibly help to see what I mean, since how I looked at it.)

Can see the Butt area and chest difference. True he is at a different angle but look at the picture below and then compare all 3.

A goatgoyle ( note it is just a goat with bat wings but to visualize what I'm saying.) As you can see if he is a goatgoyle then there wouldn't be a difference shown much with the chest and butt.)
In response to Astrlix
Astrlix wrote:
Mechs Gorgoyle
Some tips that might improve this even more, use the same texture as the gargoyles (his left arm). Tweak the color of the stone like texture a bit, possibly remove the shine areas might had just not been colored in areas where wings are in front of the moon. Show the difference between his butt and chest, to me he looks more like a goatgoyle atm to me since the difference between chest and butt don't seem visual to me, I would think there should be a butt since can see the tail attached to it and seems to just be the chest. If i divide the chest in half and what should be about the butt area he appears short in the midsection to me. (Stare at the gargoyle for a bit and follow up the path of his arms to shoulders to his back and then view his butt and chest. Possibly help to see what I mean, since how I looked at it.)

Can see the Butt area and chest difference. True he is at a different angle but look at the picture below and then compare all 3.

A goatgoyle ( note it is just a goat with bat wings but to visualize what I'm saying.) As you can see if he is a goatgoyle then there wouldn't be a difference shown much with the chest and butt.)

I think you mis-understanding some things here, this was only ever an exercise to show what a little practice can achieve never an actual piece of artwork.

I just grey shaded the colouring and threw a stone texture overlay over it (on a clipping mask). It was a 2 minute job just to differentiate the gargoyle from the background.

My main point was the composition of the art, creating a striking silhouette and adding some basic anatomical structure.

There is one point I agree with you on though, there should possibly be some definition of the groinal area, as it's a statue though this is a moot point as it may just not have been carved.

Also gargoyle appear in many different forms and in the shapes of many different animals there is no real difference other than form, though it may look more goatish it's still just classed as a gargoyle.
I think the gargoyle anatomy may have been just too hard for me to grasp. I recently made this

It's still pretty bad (you can see that I actually "skimped" on the right pocket, it's far too close compared to the left), but I personally think it's better. It, however, lacks a background, so it might just look better in a vacuum. I'm still practicing, drawing at least SOMETHING every day. Watching youtube vids and reading tutorials. Some of it may even have to do with the fact that I'm inexperienced with my program (well, not the sketches). It'll get better, guys.
It has good dynamic I'd say only thing lacking I would say is the head.
which program are you using to do these? does it use layers? if so I suggest having reference of anatomical poses or just someone elses art that can help with your study on a underlay semi transparent and draw over the top of it. This will help give you direction and also help you to improve your skills at an early stage.
I use GIMP, and yes, it has layers. You're saying have the image on a lower layer and sorta trace around on the upper layer?

Also, I sketch everything on paper beforehand, usually looking at google images.
ahh right you draw by hand then scan the image to colour it? thats also my prefered way although on the gargoyle I just drew it directly into photoshop with a graphics tablet. You need to work on having more fluid line art rather than lots of straight lines, I'm guessing you use a mouse to colour.
What else would I use?
a graphics tablet.
I'm not the best, but here's what I did with my tablet. (I haven't colored it yet)

Start with linework on one layer:

Put a new layer on top and put "meat on your skeleton":

Now sketch in the details (I left out the face because of personal preference):

Then use the stabilizer at a higher level with a very small brush (If you're using Paint Tool Sai. I don't know how the stabilizer work in other programs, if they have it) and create your lineart:

And viola, take away the other layers:

Note: I did this in less than 10 minutes. It's not an anatomy lesson, it's just a step-by-step to maybe help him out.
I don't have a tablet. Should I invest in one? And even though I don't have a tablet, your method for drawing will at least help my hand art anyway. I'll keep this in mind.
Page: 1 2