ID:1317053

Resolved
The local database file used by the pager to keep a list of games and users did not fill in on some systems due to the user path containing high ASCII characters.
BYOND Version:499
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 27.0.1453.116
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This issue has been resolved.
Everytime I open the program, it filters to find games but doesnt find any. It just keeps searching forever.

I reinstalled it and tried to lunch as admin, disabled my firewall but the same result occured

It happens everytime i open it but i never tried another account/computer

This sounds very much like your pager can't properly contact the hub, although I see there have been some successful connections, so that doesn't fully make sense.

Go to Preferences | Advanced in the menu and open up your user data directory. Go to the cfg folder. There should be a file there called localhub.db. How big is it? What happens if you rename it to something else like localhub-old.db, while the pager is not running, and open the pager again?
I've got no localhub.db. THe only files i have in my cfg foler are byond, daemon, hub, maker, pager. Also, they are all txt files. I tried to rename the hub to localhub.db or localhub-old.db, but it did not resolve my problem. In fact it changed nothing. I opened the hub file and here's the text written in it:

Dantom.BYOND hubpath=Dantom.BYOND&id=68&title=BYOND&mtime=1355304758&rtim e=1373087359&desc&play_mode=both&info=http%3a%2f%2fwww.byond .com%2fdocs%2fnotes%2f498.html&zipcrc=-1425673052&ziplen=4063 735&version=498&atime=1373090224
Out of curiosity, what is your user data directory? As in, what's the path to it? Maybe the software is having a problem writing anything there.

BYOND should be saving all your config info there. The hub.txt file should stay the way it is, and the others being .txt files are all fine, but there should be a localhub.db created by the pager. The fact that there isn't suggests something is preventing proper access.

Also, what's the timestamp on those files? Do any of them show recent modification dates? Anything since your installation?
The directory C:\Users\François\Documents\BYOND

the time stamp is basicly today. The 8th of july. Cause i tried reinstalling it
Is it possible to have a response please ?
I'm confused as to what could be happening here. The fact that you have no localhub.db file at all is troubling, because you have all the other config files you'd need. There could be a permissions issue involved, but that would be kind of strange as the files were obviously created okay the first time. It would be best if I could work with you one-on-one live to take a look at your configuration, as I have no idea what could cause the db file not to be written.

When you installed BYOND, did you install it as an administrator? If not, I suggest reinstalling it that way. If that doesn't fix the problem, I also suggest going into compatibility settings for byond.exe and dreamseeker.exe to force them to run as an administrator.
I tried what you suggested me and it still not working.
Okay, I'd like to try to talk live if we can. Since the pager is giving you problems, I'd recommend AIM if you have an account. If you do, let me know (you can send me a private message on the site here) and I'll add you to my AIM. I actually use Pidgin, not AIM itself, so if you don't have an IM client that's a relatively decent one.
Although I haven't had the opportunity to test this fix with you yet, I'm quite certain I've found the problem behind the fact that localhub.db isn't showing up in your directory, so I'm going to close this issue as fixed for 499.1201.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
The local database file used by the pager to keep a list of games and users did not fill in on some systems due to the user path containing high ASCII characters.
Do you mean Caps with "high ASCII characters" ? How do i fix
He was talking about the non-English in your system's username, it was throwing off the system that wrote certain data. It'll be fixed for the next update, if you want to fix it yourself you can change your BYOND user directory to a path containing only English letters/numbers.
Well, my user directory is C:\Users\François\Documents\BYOND\

I dont see any non-english characters or numbers
In response to Diamond1994
Fairly certain it's "ç."
ç is not, strictly speaking, an English character. This should already be fixed in 499.1201.
Oh right :D
Is there a way i can rename the folder ? it is locked even if im the only user of the computer and im always in as admin. There is a small padlock near it.
You shouldn't need to rename it, because version 499.1201 should have fixed this issue. The SQLite library gets its shorts in a twist when you don't use UTF-8, and I wasn't accounting for that when opening the file. Download the newest release and you should have no further problems.

However, if you really have no other options, you could try manually moving your BYOND user directory. This is not recommended, but the procedure would be to create a folder somewhere else (with an English-only path), and then go to your registry where we talked about, and change the path from the old one to the new.
I tried changing the path, but the "ç" is in one of the main folders with every other folders in it, so everywhere i place it, it is still having the same problem, but i'll download the newest i didnt know it was up.
Page: 1 2