ID:1321196

Applies to:

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
It seems a bit too simplistic in nature but meh, wth.

It seems to me that the problem with people getting the art from rsc files stolen is to just write a "play" program/command.

A file that combines the rsc, and dmb, that when clicked on will just play the game *just like clicking the dmb file.*

The idea from this came from Unity, upon compiling your file they generate said program that you can then use to play the game.
I haven't tried out Unity extensively so I just googled "Extract Unity Resource" and got this.

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/185587/ extract-files-from-build-or-unbuild.html

I've said it on another thread but, things- especially art/music can almost never be as encrypted/obfuscated like code due to having to load them and use them for their intended purpose- regardless of engine.

I'm just surprised you can technically reverse engineer the entire project on unity.

I'm not an expert in how BYOND operates to that degree, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it would be extremely counter-productive and intensive to encrypt icons and music- especially when you can print screen and record using third party things.
One thing, that goes along with this, that really MUST be changed, is the fact that seeker exports any sound played into the cache folder, which can allow players to steal music and sounds very easily. While I realize it is impossible to 100% stop someone from having the content (Because they have to experience it some how), the sound-in-folder is just unacceptable and could be handled much more elegantly.
I kind of agree with the sound file thing, it is kind of odd. Not to mention the bulk forming in my cache folder lol.
In response to FIREking
My your fire keeps getting bigger and bigger everyday. :o
In response to Jittai
While that may be true, my point is that if they don't have ready access to a raw rsc file, they can't extract images from it. In this case, the simple fix I mentioned might be even more of a deterent.

When player x goes to look for rsc, they can't find it, instead they find "play.exe" or whatever it needs to be called.

Which in itself is sort of a combination of both files, in this way when it's clicked, the game runs. It would then take some actual know how to get what you want, as opposed to noob # 1 downloading rsc extractor and getting all the files instantly.

Either way, this isn't really something I posted for a debate, it's just a feature request that I thought would be helpful.

On another note, that is a bit disturbing about unity lol.
In response to FIREking
In the next build we'll load sound files into memory instead.
In response to Lummox JR

Awesome.
In response to Jittai
Good gads that's a terrible episode.
In response to Jittai
I stared at this for about 5 minutes, laughing hysterically.
In response to Lummox JR
That is amazing. Thank you.
What is the deterrent(BLOOP spelling that word) stopping me from pressing Print Screen?
In response to Rushnut
It's a lot tougher to take graphics that way than it is to do so from the RSC. You have to make sure you cut them at just the right spots, and while that isn't too difficult, it is a lot more time consuming. You would need to go from screen to screen, etc. Then, more importantly, it won't work too well for animations and base icon frames. You would spend a ton of time trying to get it all.

There's always a way to steal graphics, and probably music too; this is just to make it so it is as time consuming and annoying to do so as possible so that it will happen as little as possible.

I don't know how well it'll work, but I support this since it may help reduce the chance of resources being stolen.
I propose a different question, how many games exactly do any of you know that have actually had their .rsc extracted and their art used in another project?

I'm kind of trying to make the point of that, at least personally, I know not of a single game that has had such happen, and even then, if there were just one or two cases of it happening, I'm sure those people would be stubborn enough to print screen.
In response to Rushnut
I'm sure art thieves don't just go "hey guize look what I got" .

That's a bit besides the point though, my understanding is that atm the Devs are looking into just about any way they feel they can improve their product for the big release of 500.

That's really all this post is, a suggestion. Endless debates are the norm, rather than constantly and forever debating I decided to be constructive.

At the end of the day you can bring up 100+ points why something "may not" work or "may not" be feasible, but there aren't many solutions being offered up to stem or help fix this particular problem. One offered solution has more value than 10- 20 "it probably won't work for x reason" arguments in that case.

If you can think up a perfect solution though be my guest, I'm sure it would be appreciated.
In response to Toddab503
Exactly. And considering the person taking their time to do all this probably is doing so because they can't be "bothered" to spend "all that time" learning to do so on their own-- chances are if it takes them a week or two weeks to steal all those graphics and another 3-4 days to clean said graphics and try to make them look good, or edit them, or "whatever", chances are that person will probably decide it's not even worth the effort and quit. That was along the lines of my thinking when I made this post , thanks!
I have a question about the BYONDexe - Installer Version and where it places a RSC file for an online only game (like NEStalgia) and if that RSC file works like byond.rsc or if it works more like a downloaded game RSC (MyHub folder)...
And then someone writes an in-memory extractor, which just copes the data structures directly. Even easier to use, since you don't even need to find the correct directory...
If it's online-only then it works just like any other online-only game. The player joins the server, which sends resources to their client that get stored in byond.rsc. You can however make it easier on them by prepackaging resources that they can have right away, shortening their download times considerably when they join a new server. NEStalgia does this.
In response to Lummox JR
I see, I just worry for someone who might have a game that's like 300 MB in RSC (lots of music and sound effects) and someone instructs that person to "empty his cache" and now he's gotta download 300 MB again. Do I not understand how this works? I am still talking about an online only game.
Page: 1 2