ID:132427

Would it be possible to include a zoom-in feature in Dream Maker for pixel artists?

Thanks for reading.
Oseliman wrote:
Would it be possible to include a zoom-in feature in Dream Maker for pixel artists?

Yes, this is something we would like to implement. We were thinking of making the canvas detachable so it could be resized. This could also potentially support editing multiple canvases at once (sharing the palette and control widgets).

Note that the DMI format used by BYOND is just a PNG with some extra comments, and you can always use a more advanced editor such as Photoshop to do your pixel art. Alternatively, you can edit the icons in an external program and cut/paste them into DM.
In response to Tom
Thanks for the response. I tried using an outside program by the name of Paint.Net but the size threw me off and I'd very much rather pixel art in DM; it's so much simpler and closer to "home".

Thank you again.
In response to Tom
At this point it would probably just be a lot easier to give us an easy way to arrange the frames into specific grids so we can import them neatly into other image editing programs.
In response to SuperAntx
I think it would be a step forward for Byond to create something like this. It'd be a lot user friendly.
In response to Oseliman
I don't know about a step forward, it's more like sidestepping the need to keep updating the icon editor. There are already much more powerful free image editors out there, if BYOND simply had an easier way to import/export images people would be free to use whichever program they wanted.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
At this point it would probably just be a lot easier to give us an easy way to arrange the frames into specific grids so we can import them neatly into other image editing programs.

If you save the icon and open it in another image editor, it should be readily editable (as a PNG). I thought Nadrew wrote a tutorial explaining this process, but I can't seem to find it...

In response to Tom
Because of the nature of BYOND icons there are usually duplicate or similar frames all over the place. This can make it difficult to import/export icons.

What I suggested was a way to export the icon with customizable row/column settings. Rather than having the whole icon in one long row there could for example be a single column for each icon_state. The grid could also have settings for padding, borders, and so on. The settings would make the sprite sheet more organized and easy to read for human eyes.