ID:132447

Are we any closer to being able to run multiple maps at the same time? I know about the screen_loc method but going after an implementation like that would result in tons of extra work and it might not even be feasible given my needs.

For some reason, I thought we could do multiple maps... Now my current design is about to go down in flames. :(

ts
What do you mean by multiple maps? We already can have multiple map files.
In response to Ripiz
He means multiple map controls within the skin file.
In response to Mega fart cannon
Oh that.
Well if he posts detailed information how it can be implemented, I'm sure staff will do it. Often it's design problem. For example:
1. If I have 2 map controls, which is map, which is for screen objects?
2. If I have 2 map controls, how to tell difference which displays which map? We have only single 'eye_loc' variable.
3. If I have 2 map controls, how to tell which is main one? If I use .north macro, which one actually receives input?
4. How to code all that?

There's probably more questions that need to be answered, but this would be good start.
In response to Ripiz
Yah. I'm talking about have 2 or more maps visible to a player at the same time. Clicking in one would move focus to that map or perhaps the dev overrides the keyboard and makes things move in both maps for a single key stroke.

I read through previous posts as well and how Lummox declared it a significant challenge at best. That was a couple years back though so I was just checking in.

ts
In response to Tsfreaks
In response to Ripiz
Ripiz wrote:
Oh that.
Well if he posts detailed information how it can be implemented, I'm sure staff will do it. Often it's design problem. For example:
1. If I have 2 map controls, which is map, which is for screen objects?
Irrelevant question, one may never be used for screen objects. If they are, current format uses map name in the screen_loc var.

2. If I have 2 map controls, how to tell difference which displays which map? We have only single 'eye_loc' variable.
eye could be changed to an array
eye[map_control_name][eye_var]

maybe to keep back compatibility adding EYE_TYPE = MULTI for new format, and EYE_TYPE = SINGLE and set default to Single.

3. If I have 2 map controls, how to tell which is main one? If I use .north macro, which one actually receives input?

By default, .north never moves a map, it moves a mob. If the eye is set to follow the mob the map follows so this is not an issue.

4. How to code all that?

That is all down to the byond team, and the devs methods...

There's probably more questions that need to be answered, but this would be good start.

Bring em on!
In response to Pirion
The simplest way would probably be eye settings for map controls