In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
Ter13, How can I play "super retro dungeon guy"?

I don't think he ever finished it.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
=[
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
FIREking wrote:
Ter13, How can I play "super retro dungeon guy"?

I don't think he ever finished it.

It was a GIAW entry that got out of control. I'll definitely revisit it someday.
In response to Ter13
Make someday sooner. Thanks in advance :D
I have still been working on this, but I am having a lot of trouble with trying to make a sphere look like it is in 3/4 view, every time I draw the head it just looks like a flat oval. I've been reading the tutorials, and they say that the shading is what makes it look more round, and I looked at a few perspective tutorials on youtube, and I tried some of the techniques but the head still seems so flat.
The trick to shading a sphere that looks round instead of flat is to make the boundaries between your shades more round. In fact, at each transition between shades, the shape of that curve should be almost the same curve as the outside edge of the sphere.

For example, do what's on the left, not what's on the right:

Ok I see how that makes it look much more rounded, but I am horrible at lines and drawing decent shapes. I understand the pattern idea behind circles of doing the same pixel length pattern so like 6,3,1,1,3,6, but how do I do this with an oval that is tilted? The pattern idea works great on a circle that you show, but once you have a circle that is not symmetrical it looks off.
Don't mind my horrible shadow, but I just wanted to point out that you should remember the reflection and the shadow ;)
Big Blue Balls
In response to Albro1
Akando5959 wrote:
Ok I see how that makes it look much more rounded, but I am horrible at lines and drawing decent shapes. I understand the pattern idea behind circles of doing the same pixel length pattern so like 6,3,1,1,3,6, but how do I do this with an oval that is tilted? The pattern idea works great on a circle that you show, but once you have a circle that is not symmetrical it looks off.

I wouldn't so much try to stick to the same pixel length pattern, but more to just the overall shape/curve. It isn't a matter of mathematical precision so much as it is just an artistic "feel" sort of thing. The same principle applies to an oval (even tilted) as shown in a sphere. The boundaries between the shades need to "follow" the outside curve of the shape.

Basically, to shade an oval, you just need to shade smaller ovals inside of it (all tilted to the same angle). They don't have to have the same edge-pixel count (and actually can't, since they need to be smaller)

In essence, that's all that sphere is. I created it by using the "fill oval" tool in BYOND's dmi editor, and just made smaller circles inside of the larger ones.

Albro1 wrote:
Don't mind my horrible shadow, but I just wanted to point out that you should remember the reflection and the shadow ;)

Yeah, good points. I tend to ignore the reflected light.

Though I don't know that the lightest/highlight shade would be the best choice (the light reflected off of the underlying surface will likely never be full strength). I'd go for one of the two middle shades for the reflected light (for this example).

You have a point, but my point was more about the reflected light than what shade it should be. lol
Page: 1 2 3