ID:1327582

Redundant
Applies to:Dream Maker

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
Sometimes people have bad internet browsers that lag on a daily basis. I know the feeling because a few years back I was one of those people. Yeah, now there are less of those browsers out there. But what about those people who can't upgrade because of their old computers and lack of money? Every player counts. Especially since there's not a vast amount around.

For some of the people out there wishing to get their game notice and not making much success, this is for you. Most people don't favorite games that are actually the ones that need to be added as favorites. Like those people who rate movies and games as a 1 star just because of one little bad detail. Or rate it at 5 star just because there was a hot girl in it.

What if you, the developer, had the ability to give players a pop-up asking them if they like the game and if they want to favorite it? Or if they want to review it? Yes, this would probably get out of hand in some ways but there can be a precautionary measure in place.

1. A delay on use.
2. Randomization for who will be asked to favorite or review.
3. Or, better yet. Let them click the button/verb themselves so they can choose whenever they want to do it. This way they don't have to leave the game and go on a browser to do what they need to do.

To also make sure developers can't force players to favorite the game, only allow the user themselves to run the command. (And for those very few games that will try some BS like, "You can't play until you favorite the game." Well, if it were me playing.. I just wouldn't play at all. Because it'd no longer be my favorite. Haha.)
You can already implement all of this from within DM...
I can actually get people to click a button an favorite a game? I thought it was a generated link based on their key. (That [+].)

As for reviews, I don't know much about those anymore since I haven't seen a review in a long time.
You can Import() the list of fans and check their key against it, if they aren't on it, tell them they are required to fan because of the messaging service, and then disconnect them.
Wrong post. I messed up too.

Edit: I'll also try using Import() since it pertains to my other feature request.

How would I go about giving them a working link to favorite a game without redirecting them to http://byond.com/games/key/game ?
As Rushnut stated, it's very easy to get the list of your fans, I used to do it on the past so fans would have higher gains, but you can't give them a working link for automatically fanning your game.
That's what the post is primarily about. Giving them a link for them to automatically fan my game. But only they themselves can click the link. I can't be all like,

mob/verb/forceAllTheseSuckersToFanMyGame()
for(var/mob/M in world)
M.fan_game()

mob/proc/fan_game()
//code here to automatically fan the game.

That's where it comes in where there are the "precautions".
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
That's what the post is primarily about. Giving them a link for them to automatically fan my game. But only they themselves can click the link. I can't be all like,

> mob/verb/forceAllTheseSuckersToFanMyGame()
> for(var/mob/M in world)
> M.fan_game()
>
> mob/proc/fan_game()
> //code here to automatically fan the game.
>

That's where it comes in where there are the "precautions".

I wish BYOND would implent something like this, but I doubt it'll ever happen, because you could easily force them to open the link whenever you wanted. Maybe if you received an alert like with the Page Proc (which doesn't work at all at the moment).
You could just refuse them access and then give them a link to the hub telling them to click fan to do stuff.
Xirre wrote:
Sometimes people have bad internet browsers that lag on a daily basis. I know the feeling because a few years back I was one of those people. Yeah, now there are less of those browsers out there. But what about those people who can't upgrade because of their old computers and lack of money? Every player counts. Especially since there's not a vast amount around....

Yeah, I was thinking of a total in game feature. This also ties in to a probability effect where people are less likely to actually open their browser and favorite the game. I don't ever open my browser to join BYOND games. I go straight to my recent links and pull it up. Especially now since they're all saved there. Not just that selected 7 or however many there were in bookmarks.
Lige resolved issue (Redundant)