ID:13286

They're pretty big, though - 20-30 Kb.

here and here.

As you can see, I've set up autojoining for the walls (That dungeon is randomly generated) and removed some of the 'black lines' around the icons - I think the changes make things look a little better.

Additionally, I've added a few new monsters - last time, all that was present were goblins and the odd dalek (YOU WILL OBEY). Now, there are giant rats, kobolds, orcs, bats, and flying man-eating sausage dogs (Don't ask).

I'm trying to speed up monster AI a little, currently - it's a bit slow. In fact, it's probably slower then drawing the display. That either says a lot of good things about my isometric library, or a lot of bad things about my AI routines.

EDIT: I've decided to expand on this a little more.

I'm trying to see if I can get this game out in time for Iccusion's little contest - I'm certainly interested in participating.

These screenshots include the statpanel and text window, so you can see the interface - I've decided to only use a minimal HUD, if at all - probably just for hp and mp - the game is slow enough as it is. So, everything is controlled by verbs, and statpanels are used to display statistics. It really isn't all that bad, trust me - most of the 'obvious' verbs (Like opening or closing doors, or climbing stairs, or attacking monsters, or using charged items...) can be triggered simply by double-clicking the object that you're concerned with. Additionally, there aren't really that many statistics to show. I'm looking at two to three tabs, not including verbs - one to include general statistics, such as health, level, dungeon level, and equipment, another to contain your inventory, and possibly a third for spells - although a simple 'Browse Spellbook' verb that provides a browser window might be a better way of doing that one.

Magic works pretty simply in this game - you learn spells by finding spellbooks scattered around the dungeon. Once you have learnt a spell, you can cast it simply by using the CastSpell verb and selecting that spell. You then get told that you're 'ready' to cast the spell, and you simply need to select the target of the spell by double-clicking on it (Of course, some spells can only be cast on yourself - these don't require this step). Once you've selected the target, the spell goes off and you lose the pertinent amount of mp. When you're in the 'prepared' phase of spellcasting, performing any other action cancels the spell at no cost to yourself.

Charged items are already present in the game - in one of the screenshots, you can see that I have a Wand of Magic Missile and a Wand of Cure. These work similarly to the real spell (In fact, the actual procedures used are exactly the same). After using the charged item (By clicking the 'Use' verb or doubleclicking the item) you select the target, and off it goes. Scrolls and potions are also charged items, though they only have one charge.

Other items so far are pretty minimal - that's the next bit for me, really - setting up a system for magic equipment, and defining some more stuff. I think I'll stay coy on what I'm planning for that.

Until next time, BYONDers...
Loooks really cool, looking foward to play it.
Awesome. Go team Roguelike!
There are some artifacts in the isometric lines, but those should be fixable. It's awesome that you're doing an isometric Roguelike.
There are some artifacts in the isometric lines, but those should be fixable.

I've noticed that - I think it's to do with how I've set up some of the icons. Fixable, but slightly annoying. Next time there's a screenshot, that'll probably be fixed.
Looks terrific!

[Edit: replaced period with exclamation point for added enthusiasm. :) ]