ID:1330426

No offense and I know its not my business, but I wonder if people are making smart decisions by donating, financially. $10-20 bucks fine, but $500+? Look, I understand people are interested in helping BYOND out of a tight bind, but I just wonder what these huge donation sums are doing to their wallets. Its quite bizarre, but I guess people love BYOND so much, they'll risk digging themselves into a financial grave or their parents.

Iunno, I was wondering, that's all.
If some people didn't donate $500 BYOND wouldn't reach it's monthly goal. It'd still be like <$2500 :S

BYOND has as max (I think) 7000 players online at the same time, and like only 20% of them can donate. I doubt with those players you can always reach the goal.
You do realize that not everybody on this site lives off of their parents and could instead have a stable income thus can donate money to an organization that they believe in. I've donated a pretty decent sum (granted it was mostly 5 years ago) not because I had a ton of money to spend, but because I believed in the product. On the other hand, I also know people who have donated a large sum of money that financially burdened them, but they believe in BYOND.

Tom, Lummox, and any developer hoping to make a buck from BYOND are lucky there are so many people here that believe in BYOND. Donating a few dollars here or there keeps the company afloat, updates continuous, and ultimately enable somebody to profit.
Cloud Magic wrote:
110% of statistics are made up on the spot

9/11 Americans hate this statistic
I can't speak for everyone, but I can say that I'm financially stable enough to occasionally drop some money on something I care about.
In response to Cinnom
$1,000 is something you have to be more than financially stable to donate at once. Also, can I has money?
In response to Eternal_Memories
Actually, if 20% of 7000 donated $5 that would be $7000.
In response to The Magic Man
The Magic Man wrote:
Actually, if 20% of 7000 donated $5 that would be $7000.

Not many of them are to up to donate even if they can. I'm just saying that if it wasn't for people like Cinnom, Drakina, Teka, and some others, it wouldn't ever reach it's monthly goal. I know $5000 is not enough, but with BYOND's Community it seems hard to reach the goal every month.

Imagine 20% people donate $5, what guarantees you they will donate again next month?
In response to Eternal_Memories
You have to take into consideration that the majority of the community are kids and/or members of the rip/fangame section of that community. Not many of those people think much about the BYOND platform past something to find slightly-different games. If more people actually used the tools or the website; they would donate. Instead, most avoid the forums and stick to a handful of rips. Then there's the SS13 section, which is almost entirely the same; except they only use BYOND to look for other SS13 servers. In my opinion, this is worse for BYOND. Most of these games don't give incentive to support BYOND, either by openly supporting it by advertising bits of the software or website, or offering and supporting member perks/subscription systems. If SS13 had a decent subscription perk set and member's benefits, it could very well give a big chunk of cash to BYOND.