I think it would be quite useful to have a method of disabling proc crash suppression. Here's the problem:
* Host a game for 2 hours
* One null reference in a timed game loop (not a for loop) causes the 95-100 message limit to be reached very quickly
* BYOND starts suppressing messages 10 minutes into the game - BYOND Warning: further proc crash messages are being suppressed to prevent overload...
* Any OTHER bugs that occur generating an error will not display that error for the remainder of the 2 hours
* Fix the bug (if it's not a quick fix, this could take an indeterminable amount of time)
* Close Dream Daemon, disconnecting all clients
* Lose portions of game-state that are not saved, which is a considerable loss for most games
* Open Dream Daemon
* Wait another 5 minutes just to get everyone logged back in
I am currently doing very controlled beta tests for my new game sequel Survival, and the current solution is troublesome compared to the alternative - being able to log all crashes and then peruse them later to take care of bugs after the beta is closed for the night.
Apr 24 2009, 11:47 am