ID:1331624

BYOND Version:499
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium
Web Browser:Chrome 28.0.1500.72
Applies to:Dream Seeker

A member of our crack team of bug testers has verified that this issue is reproducible, and has handed it off to the development team for investigation.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When I run my game, it messes up with my map and changes my icon states, also brings void..
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Run game

Expected Results:
To have the icons show up how they are supposed to, the way they are displayed in Dream Maker
Here is a screenshot:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Everytime
In other games?
N/A
In other user accounts?
Yes
On other computers?
No idea

When does the problem NOT occur?
This problem always occurs
Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
Not sure, it has always worked fine up until now, even with the latest version.

Workarounds:
There is no workaround?
I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean when you say this has always worked fine even with the latest version, yet it obviously isn't working fine now. Do you mean to say that the same version you're currently using was working fine before? If so, did you use any different version before/when the problem occurred?

Also I'm not sure which exact 499 build you're referring to.
Oops my bad, yeah it was working fine with another game I was making, with the exact same version(499.1201) I just decided to make the game from scratch with another theme, and tada- the map got bugged.

This has been the first time I've ever encountered this issue. Have absolutely no idea what is causing it.
If you decided to make the game from scratch, I'm not sure how an existing map would get changed. Or do you mean this is a new map?
Yeah this is a map which was also made from scratch
Alright, so I just made a new map and I think I know where the issue is coming from. Could it be because I never identified the icon states individually? I just used:
turf/Grass
icon='grass.dmi'
Dirt
icon='Dirt.dmi'

and extracted the remaining icon_states via the map editor.
It seems to be working just fine without the generated icon_states, once I use those the void begins taking effect.

Yeah, just tested it yet again, I am absolutely positive that this issue is being caused by Generating icon states via the map editor
Having the map editor extract the icon states ought to be good enough AFAIK. As I recall, underlay turfs only ever have problems with directions and pixel offsets.

I would recommend trying this same map in older builds, especially 498, to see if the issue appears in any of those. You can test older builds by downloading the .zip file and just unzipping the byond/bin folder to anywhere. (I like to make special folders like bin498, bin499.1200, etc.) Then run DS from there, which you can do by dragging your .dmb file onto dreamseeker.exe.

If this isn't a new issue it may still be something we want to address. If it's new, it's definitely something we want to get on.
Just tried it with 498.1148 and 498.1163 , on both occasions the same problem has continued to persist
Also tested it further back all the way toward 485.1094, same action occurs.
Okay, this is really useful info. This probably ties into the same problem we have with dirs, then. So it's not a new problem, but it's probably one we'll want to address anyway since the map editor and world shouldn't show different results, and the map editor's version is really what we want since it's more intuitive.
Glad to be of help out
Happened again, this time I identified each icon state individually...
Yeah, this has been around forever. I even ran into it as a newbie.

Lord, that was five years ago? I can't believe I've been here for almost a decade now. I can't believe one of those links isn't dead yet.
Stephen001 changed status to 'Verified'