ID:133342

I do not know how the transmission of data to the client works, so I'm not completely sure, but if things are handled like I'd assume, it might be possible to pull of a client sided automap with only additional graphical routines.

Now that would add visual appeal to some games and would release the server, saving it any stress of generating dynamic images/icons per client, thus fitting well in the new Interface elements.

One would have to discuss on how to exactly handle and implement this basic general idea (e.g. being able to set to display mobs and obj seperate, how to set representing colors, how to avoid people adding an automap to a games skin on their own, and so on and so forth...), but that should wait till there is word if this feature is even considered.

Thank you for reading and considering.
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
I do not know how the transmission of data to the client works, so I'm not completely sure, but if things are handled like I'd assume, it might be possible to pull of a client sided automap with only additional graphical routines.

Now that would add visual appeal to some games and would release the server, saving it any stress of generating dynamic images/icons per client, thus fitting well in the new Interface elements.

One would have to discuss on how to exactly handle and implement this basic general idea (e.g. being able to set to display mobs and obj seperate, how to set representing colors, how to avoid people adding an automap to a games skin on their own, and so on and so forth...), but that should wait till there is word if this feature is even considered.

I quite like the idea. An elegant method of displaying a minimap woks very well with me.

Stopping people from adding the interface element to their game would be as easy as using client.control_freak. Sure, people might not like the idea of stopping people from using their interfaces, but hey, it's the price you pay to stop cheating.

Thank you for reading and considering.

Any time.
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
I quite like the idea. An elegant method of displaying a minimap woks very well with me.

Thanks *smiles*.
It just sounds like something that can be computed completely client sided and thus avoid heaps of wasted resources for the game host (creating one image per client in short periods of times can become overkill) is well suited as an interface element.

Stopping people from adding the interface element to their game would be as easy as using client.control_freak. Sure, people might not like the idea of stopping people from using their interfaces, but hey, it's the price you pay to stop cheating.

That's a harsh one.
It might be sufficient already if the automap would only work with additional winset calls (winsetting the mob/obj/turf type to be displayed and their colour-code).
Or can you winset through an interface element?
I never tried what would happen if I set a button to winset a label... funny idea though ;)
In response to Schnitzelnagler
You can .winset at any time client-side, and that includes using interface elements.

I like the idea, though, it would simplify the only current methods of this a lot (1. Use a label and combine tons of "images" to make one image (difficult) or 2. Use some outside language and a browser to do it (unsure how difficult it is, though you would need to know some PHP or Java)).