ID:133426

Applicable Configuration:
BYOND Version: 427.997
Operating System: Windows XP
Web Browser: N/A
Game/Hub(s): N/A
Video Card (for graphics bugs): N/A

Descriptive Problem Summary:
link()ing a client to another DD instance (with the same DMB) causes the default output to display the following two lines:

Connection closed.
Connection failed.

Which really looks quite bad, from a purely aesthetical point of view.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1) Start up two instances of the below
2) Host one on port 1234
3) Use the verb.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
mob/verb/Go()
src << link("byond://localhost:1234")

Make sure to have a default output in the skin file.

Expected Results:
The player is connected to the other DMB with no visible change occuring on his end.

Actual Results:
The two abovementioned lines are displayed.

Does the problem occur:
Every time

When does the problem NOT occur?
N/A

Workarounds:
1) Set 'Visible' to false for the default output in the skin file
2) Hide the default output before link()'ing the player
3) Clear the default output after recieving the player on the other end
4) Then re-show it

Step 3 is only needed if you're moving between two worlds with the same skin file, as it will then preserve the output and layout from before (Nice feature!).

I've put this as a bug, because the only possible workaround where the above two lines don't flash in the output long enough to definately be noticed is to set 'Visible' to false for the default output.
Shouldn't this be more of a feature? I'm pretty sure the behavior your talking about is intended.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
Shouldn't this be more of a feature? I'm pretty sure the behavior your talking about is intended.

'Connection failed' doesn't seem awfully intuitive and intended. I'm pretty sure its just a side-effect of the way link() works (and not having specifically supressed those messages under a certain circumstance), not an intended addition.
That also happens when you reconnect using a previously logged in DS.
I've moved this to feature requests, as I wasn't sure it warranted a bug report per se.