ID:133611

Hello. Here is something I'd like to request that would help greatly. It would be awesome if you could disable the movement animation for a client's own mob, while still allowing other mobs with other clients show their movement animations.

Basically, when a player see's their own mob move around on the screen, every move is a single discrete jump from tile to tile, no sliding is shown. However, to another observer looking at the player's character, they would see the player sliding around from tile to tile. The sliding is helpful because you can see what direction someone is going and where they were coming from a lot easier, but when you have to see your OWN character slide around it just feels sluggish and slow.
.configure animated movement is made for that, I think you can change it in-game
In response to Ripiz
Ripiz wrote:
.configure animated movement is made for that, I think you can change it in-game

whoa seriously, i'll have to take a look at that if its true.

This configures ONLY the client's mob animation right? It doesn't affect the move animation of all other mobs as seen by the client? And the other clients still see the mob animate his own movement?
In response to Obs
When you set a moveable object's animate_movement var to FORWARD_STEPS, that object will jump from tile to tile in every client that can see it.

Consider this:
The player's mob has no icon, instead you give it an image var and add it only to its player's client's images list. Then only the player can see it. Make the icon like crosshairs or something. Make the mob nondense and animate_movement to FORWARD_STEPS.

Make another mob for each player that is dense with icon and default animation. Have it follow the player's mob.

So when a player hits the arrow keys, the crosshair-mob that only that player can see jumps rapidly to the destination, but the normal-mob that everyone can see moves normally to the same destination. If it gets stuck along the way, just teleport the crosshair-mob back to it.

That would give you the best of both worlds, no?
In response to Traztx
Traztx wrote:
When you set a moveable object's animate_movement var to FORWARD_STEPS, that object will jump from tile to tile in every client that can see it.

Consider this:
The player's mob has no icon, instead you give it an image var and add it only to its player's client's images list. Then only the player can see it. Make the icon like crosshairs or something. Make the mob nondense and animate_movement to FORWARD_STEPS.

Make another mob for each player that is dense with icon and default animation. Have it follow the player's mob.

So when a player hits the arrow keys, the crosshair-mob that only that player can see jumps rapidly to the destination, but the normal-mob that everyone can see moves normally to the same destination. If it gets stuck along the way, just teleport the crosshair-mob back to it.

That would give you the best of both worlds, no?

That implementation is terrible though, and doesn't really work unless you hide the following mob from the client.

I need to try out the .configure thing when I get to my machine
In response to Ripiz
uh, how do I write code to change a .configure macro for a client?

Where can I even find documentation on this stuff?
In response to Obs
I get the feeling this can't even be configured anymore. Nothing I've tried works. .configure animation, or .configure animated-movement, .configure animate-movement, nothing.
In response to Obs
Obs wrote:
I get the feeling this can't even be configured anymore. Nothing I've tried works. .configure animation, or .configure animated-movement, .configure animate-movement, nothing.

It wouldn't do what you want, anyway. It just turns off the animation of all objects. We can consider a setting.
In response to Tom
ah I thought that would be the case. Well, do consider it. Its a good compromise between sliding movement and instant movement
In response to Obs
I would actually want to know how to disable animation on my client. I'm new to this new version of BYOND and the old .configure animation off command doesn't work.