ID:133708

I'd really like to be able to use a parallax in my game. They add lots of depth to 2D games. For those of you who don't know, a parallax is an image in the background (behind all of mobs, objects, turfs, etc in your map) that moves opposite the player. So when the player moves east, the parallax moves west, and when the player moves north, the parallax moves south. It makes it look like something is off in the distance, and is pretty neat if used correctly.

Anyway, think this is a good idea?

[edit]
For an example of a parallax, see this. The mountains in the background is the parallax.
You're a little off on the definition of parallax. It doesn't move in the opposite direction (that would give a sensation of spinning), but rather just moves slower. =)

There's a technical issue to this: I can't see how a notation for parallax could be written in DM...
In response to Jtgibson
Perhaps something like:

world
parallax = image file here
parallax_speed = how fast the parallax moves here
In response to Jtgibson
What would be even more disorienting would be a parallax that moves up when you move forward, and down when you move backwards. It's like you're on a slope with weird gravity!
http://www.byond.com/developer/Nadrew/ParallaxDemo There ya' go. As close as you'll ever get with BYOND.
In response to Nadrew
I don't think that's quite what he was looking for.
In response to Foomer
That's why I said "As close as you'll ever get with BYOND." =P
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
That's why I said "As close as you'll ever get with BYOND." =P

No, it's probably possible to get a lot closer than that. Having thoroughly investigated this subject myself I think I pretty much already have a system that could do this quickly and efficiently, with just a few extra changes.
In response to Jtgibson
I dunno, it might be possible using some intelligent screen images. You'd have to do a lot more work than it would be worth... I'd like to see the feature in BYOND as well. Lots of games use parallax, especially between the NES-PSX era. Hell, even a lot of PS2/XBox/XBox360/PS3 games tend to use parallax.

It's not just a feature of sidescrollers either. It's a good way to show distant terrain features on places like cliffs, and tall towers.
In response to Ter13
Phantom Hourglass and Wind Waker kind of use a parallax for the islands off in the distance.