ID:133734

I think it'd be pretty neat for BYOND to have it's own IRC network (such as irc.byond.com) that we could connect to and, for instance, create channels for our games, or for general BYOND chat.
yes plz
I agree with the sentiments expressed in the previously viewed bundle of data.
Didn't you try that a month ago and it ended up sucking hardcore? We already have Chat, so I don't see the need for other chat rooms.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
We already have Chat, so I don't see the need for other chat rooms.

It is the consensus of the Chat community that Chat sucks, beyond being closed to standard chat clients and thus less user-friendly and customizable.
In response to SuperAntx
That's because I'm me (not popular enough to have people actually join anything I make.) If BYOND had it's own IRC network, I know for a fact people would use it instead of the disgustingly awful Chat.
In response to Koil
We did once, and it failed horridly. Very horridly.
In response to Nadrew
Maybe it's time to try again? I have to think setting up an IRC server would be within our reach.
In response to PirateHead
PirateHead wrote:
It is the consensus of the Chat community that Chat sucks, beyond being closed to standard chat clients and thus less user-friendly and customizable.

Mind telling me what exactly sucks about it? There was that resource glitch awhile back, but that was fixed with 4.0. Chat has the ability to make rooms, post dm code, and a bunch of other nifty things you would expect from a chat program. Actually, I'd say Chat is already better than IRC since you log in with your actual BYOND key.

We don't need another chat room. What we need is a Ventrilo server.
Koil wrote:
I think it'd be pretty neat for BYOND to have it's own IRC network (such as irc.byond.com) that we could connect to and, for instance, create channels for our games, or for general BYOND chat.

I'm all for pushing BYOND into different venues, but it strikes me as pretty silly to use a third-party chat program to discuss a program whose primary asset is hosting chat-like activity.
A lot of people have been saying there's no need for IRC, because whatever IRC has Chat can do better. Here's what Chat (right now) doesn't have or doesn't do well, but IRC thrives at:

- Private messages: Chat has never had properly working chat messages ever since its attempt at creating a graphical interface for private conversation. And as of right now, you can't even speak to privately at all. No private conversations.

- Lack of spam control, lack of administration: When I say lack, I really mean NONE. No administrators, no spam control. Anyone is free to walk in and spam and terrorize. Chat hasn't been updated in way too long, and I think basic administration commands are a must. IRC's administration is rather good, being able to ban IP ranges and all, but what's even better is that you can download one of many many bots online that're used for customizable and flexible flood control, swear word filters, etc. Chat doesn't have that, and has never had that and probably never will have that.

I don't even want to mention the other problems in detail. Many IRC clients allow you to connect to multiple IRC networks at once, followed by many IRC channels. You can also have client-to-client conversations! Whether it be text, files, or anything. Since IRC is just the protocol, you're free to use any or create your own IRC clients! That's right, complete customizability. Some people, like me, don't want to use 40 to 50 megabytes of ram just to sit in a chat room. You gotta run BYOND, and you have to run the rather large and cpu-intensive dreamseeker (even if it has no map it's cpu intensive). And ever since 4.0, you can't even login to byond games using linux anymore. That's the icing on the cake. IRC supports any operating system, any platform, made in any language that looks like anything and functions like anything (as long as it complies with the RFC specifications it'll work on the server end). Chat? You can't do anything, you can make your interface look slightly better but are forced to use widgets that the creator has support for (for example, you can't go and make your own grid who panel if the programmer programmed his chat to use a text window), you can't change the functionality, and you can only run it on a system with a decent amount of ram and a decent cpu. Every single chat program on the face of BYOND, with the exception of Chatters (it had its originality - something that's not seen anywhere on byond today), cannot measure up to IRC at all.

I'm definately pro-BYOND supported IRC channels or networks. If we have our own network, we would be able to use the key system, but we'd lose out on neighbouring channels. Channels like #gamedev (freenode) which are always helpful.
In response to SuperAntx
Too many people on BYONDF for Vent server.
In response to Crashed
Crashed wrote:
Here's what Chat (right now) doesn't have or doesn't do well, but IRC thrives at:

-bla
-bla

-bla

Uh, what does that matter, though? I don't frequent chat worlds, but I've always thought there was actually more than one BYOND "game"/world dedicated for chatting.
And if none of the current chats fit your needs, just create your own in DM, really, instead of complaining about it and requesting an IRC server which I have the same opinion as Tom's about. It IS one of the easiest things to do in DM, so why not write your own improved "IRC server" in it?
In response to Kaioken
Agreed. Not much point in having IRC when BYOND contains everything you need to make your own chat system.

I've offered up several times to host other chat programs on digitalBYOND, yet still you congregate in Chat and whine about how bad it is.

This topic has been done to death several times. If Evi's Chat sucks so much, then why not make your own. I'll offer up 1-month free to any system. The one who survives in terms of functionality and stability after a period of testing-time (of my choosing), stays until I decided not to host it anymore or the developer is willing to pay for the service at a reduced rate.

(Unless Chatters 2 goes online of course.) :)