ID:1338835

Why is it even with all the bug reports one simple problem for the new byond even with all the updates has yet to be fixed? People are still being stuck with loading game information and no matter what happens can't be helped. Not only that but I've yet to see any actual help for it what's going on?
As far as I've seen, no one has been able to identify why people are having this problem, so Lummox JR hasn't been able to fix it. Unfortunately, most of the bug reports are devoid of any useful information, so it's hard to see any kind of trend. Lummox JR did walk a few people through some debugging, but it didn't look like it revealed anything substantial. But this is just the view of a forum lurker, I don't speak for the staff.

So, assuming you're having this issue, sit down with a friend who doesn't have the problem, and figure out what makes your setup different. In my utter lack of experience, I would guess that it's probably one of these:
A) a user account privilege / VirtualStore issue
B) Firewall
C) Antivirus
D) Internet explorer (mis)configuration

Although, all of the users experiencing this symptom don't necessarily have the same problem.
Yeah thst's what makes it even more annoying then add on the fact that I cant message anyone with the older byond and can't log into certain games cause they only run the new system and it just gets to the point where you just want to quit.
Perhaps byond should do a forced update.
Noone wants to run the new BYOND version because getting 20 second ads telling you to preorder Diablo 3 (which came out and flopped months ago) every time you connect is really obnoxious
In response to Tobba
Tobba wrote:
Noone wants to run the new BYOND version because getting 20 second ads telling you to preorder Diablo 3 (which came out and flopped months ago) every time you connect is really obnoxious

You'd prefer that the BYOND hub, services and feature updates were non existent?

Yarrrrrr...
A 20 second ad helping to fund the very people making this project possible. I am so devastated. How ever will I cope?
In response to Fugsnarf
Well, Fugsnarf, you seem to be under the impression that people CARE about funding BYOND. They just want to play games without watching ads, which is why a lot of people aren't using the latest pager (and I think some people are spoofing the new pager so they can use the old pager with the newer BYOND versions)
Tbh, I think a constant stream of silent adds on the bottom of the pager would work better. No one actually looks at the ads anyway.
sowwy, but for the dumb people why is my comment silly?
Cloud Magic wrote:
Jittai wrote:
Tbh, I think a constant stream of silent adds on the bottom of the pager would work better. No one actually looks at the ads anyway.

This comment is silly. You don't speak for everyone Jittai

I don't see how it's silly. I really doubt anyone sits there watching the ads they probably go off and look at boobs for 15/30 seconds.

I have my ads turn on and I'm usually working on other stuff- is it a big wait? No, but it's still a wait. I offered an alternative that would also get more money if the ads cycled through like they do on skype.

So I'm not sure if you guys misread what I wrote as "no one has their ads turned on" or what or just being rushnuts.
You do realize most ads don't pay-per-view, right? It's usually on click-through.
Does that include the ads that play currently in the pager when you join games?
Perhaps not all of them, but I imagine a number of them. Video ads that distract people tend to be per-view, but the static ads usually require some sort of interaction -- at least in my experience with ad providers.
Exactly why you don't have barbie ads on a hardcore roguelike gaming website, but perhaps you'd have the latest gamer scoop ad. It's all about target audiences, and making people WANT to click.
So the average of 3 hours a day I watch ads don't get counted for byond? When I play ss13 every time the around resets I have to watch the ad again. Also shaves of my chance to hitting ready in time to play the game properly. Since there is a count down at the start of the rounds to hit ready to play.

Why would you work on a system that makes playing byond's most played game since 2006 almost unbearable.
You can buy a membership and support the program that makes SS13 possible. As an added bonus you can skip those pesky ads and gain an advantage over the other players.

Or just let BYOND rot and die. That's an option too.
@Legato_frio: There's a reason we upped the pregame round time to 120 seconds.

@Fugsnarf: The average SS13 player seems to think that SS13 is made in spite of BYOND, not with it and thus would take the second option any day. Plus disabling ads is good for the guy who does it, so when someone has the choice to look at ads vs not looking at ads, most people will take not looking at ads any day of the week.
It is practically made in spite with BYOND though, everyone hates it and the BYOND developers only recently even started to acknowledge its existance again

Most people probably dont think about BYOND as the thing that makes it possible anyways, if it shut down someone would just set up an alternate auth server and be done with it, since really no SS13 crashes or engine bugs has been fixed ever (except for a few generic refcount errors that only got fixed once people like Yut Put started to bitch about them), and the only new feature thats used that I know of is maptext (which is barely used sadly)
Page: 1 2