ID:134290

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Lots of routers out there now have built-in support for UPnP, and lots of the time it's on by default. If BYOND could automatically handle port forwarding (for hosting games, and maybe even for the pager connection) when a UPnP device is detected, it would be really helpful for a lot of people who can't/don't know how to forward a port manually.
I am bumping this, I was going to make my own but one existed.
I'd suggest having a moderator move this to Feature Requests.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Didn't even notice that thanks.
Bump a de bump a do I want this and you should too!
Personally I don't want settings in my router to be modified even temporarily to allow for hosting, I know how to port forward & wouldn't appreciate it messing with my settings even if it switches the port back off after it's no longer needed, or even if it set port triggering & port triggering actually worked in this case...

A pop-up should come up when in detects it couldn't host & seeing that UPnP is on, ask if you'd like to open the port for hosting instead, this way the user knows what's going on, why & doesn't get settings changed, even if only temporarily, without them knowing about it.

It should either optionally or automatically(default) also un-do the setting change of the open port when you stop hosting, the whole reason for closing off the ports is to not allow an open port for people to possibly hack you using it. Port triggering is meant to do this for you when it detects the port has had no data sent over it, in about 15 minutes, but it doesn't work with dream daemon.
+1
In response to Superbike32
Superbike32 wrote:
Personally I don't want settings in my router to be modified even temporarily to allow for hosting, I know how to port forward & wouldn't appreciate it messing with my settings even if it switches the port back off after it's no longer needed, or even if it set port triggering & port triggering actually worked in this case...

A pop-up should come up when in detects it couldn't host & seeing that UPnP is on, ask if you'd like to open the port for hosting instead, this way the user knows what's going on, why & doesn't get settings changed, even if only temporarily, without them knowing about it.

It should either optionally or automatically(default) also un-do the setting change of the open port when you stop hosting, the whole reason for closing off the ports is to not allow an open port for people to possibly hack you using it. Port triggering is meant to do this for you when it detects the port has had no data sent over it, in about 15 minutes, but it doesn't work with dream daemon.

Lots of stuff do this for you without you even knowing. Like an XBOX 360 for example.
FIREking, it's true that many things already mess with the settings given UPnP is enabled, but I have mine off because programs mess with the settings often, and most of them leave ports open & everything even after it's no longer being used, at times even past an uninstall of the app in question.

I like to have control over the settings & know what they are at any given time & would only enable UPnP usage if the apps I used actually told me about changes it's going to make so that I know what the settings are, what made the change, and the reason for it.
In response to Superbike32
If that's the case then you could easily untick UPnP like a lot of other programs provide, which you should already know about since you are a bit paranoid about the ports being opened in the first place right?

If you have UPnP turned off anyway this post shouldn't concern you at all.
bump
Bump
Dec 1 2006 and it's still not been done. Bump all you want, this isn't the first thread on the topic and it's never gonna happen. I have no idea why.
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:
Dec 1 2006 and it's still not been done. Bump all you want, this isn't the first thread on the topic and it's never gonna happen. I have no idea why.

Probably won't happen as they'll use the HTML5 as an excuse to not do it..
Bump -- Don't delay it any longer. This is a big step. I'm not letting this one pass.
Oh my god... Bump!
Bump+

I think it would be really useful.
+1
Bump
Bump ++X0ver9000
Page: 1 2 3