I desperately want to see this movie, based on the trailers. How could you resist giant mechs fighting giant monsters????

But I see a trend in this thread that I'm confused by...

People actually watch action movies (especially the big, flashy, dripping with CG, "popcorn" action films) expecting (nay, demanding!) good characters, good emotional development, good acting, etc.?

Obviously, you're failing to see the point of big, flashy, dripping-with-CG action films...
I don't particularly expect it, but I do expect it of anything I'd call "best movie 2013".
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
I don't particularly expect it, but I do expect it of anything I'd call "best movie 2013".

Well, yeah, of course.

However, I seriously doubt Rushnut actually means that. It sounded like hyperbole to me from the start (and then he confirmed it by one of his responses to this thread)

Yes, his poll, then should have included some more realistic choices (so people weren't forced between the one extreme or the other), but oh well.
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
People actually watch action movies (especially the big, flashy, dripping with CG, "popcorn" action films) expecting (nay, demanding!) good characters, good emotional development, good acting, etc.?

I watch movies expecting those things. I don't think it's asking too much. When I don't see it, I'm disappointed regardless of the genre.

However, you do have a point. It never happens, and nobody expected Pacific Rim to be any more than a mindless giant robot battle. That being all it is, it was at least entertaining.
It's actually the opposite of what an imaginitive person would like IMO...
I didn't choose to see this movie hoping it would have a good story, or characters. I paid to see that movie on many occasions so I could watch some giant mechs kill monsters, and giant monsters destroy mechs and kill people.

And I got what I paid for.
In response to EnigmaticGallivanter
As did I. I knew what to expect when walking into the movie theatre. I don't understand how anyone can go see that movie and not know what it's about just to walk out disappointed. It's mean't to be one of those big summer movies and it's exactly that.
Page: 1 2