Event Aug 4 2013, 12:00 pm
to Aug 11 2013, 12:00 pm
ID:1344190

The Contest:
Create a game using as many of the themes and sub themes as you can within the time allowed. The entry with the highest score wins.

Prize Pool:

Thanks to Ease.15$
Thanks to snyperwolf.20$
Dariuc.15$

Currently 50$

# of Entrants Thus Far:
Higoten-Game Submitted
Albro1
Rushnut & Taitz n/a
Flick n/a
Totally Unexpected n/a
Divine Traveller
Magnum2k n/a
Bumblemore n/a
Neo Berserker
Cloud Magic
Fruit By The Foot n/a
Total Entrants: 9
Game Entries : 8
Game On!

Official Timer
Timer

Choose from these themes for your game. The more themes and sub themes you can include the better your score will be.

Themes
1)Exploration

2)Survival

3)Advanced Technology Civilization

4)Magic(anything magic related)

5)Supernatural(Ghosts Demons,etc)

6) Base your game off of the lyrics of a song.

7)A bible verse.

Sub-themes:
Use these in combination with the major themes.

1) Unity

2) Discord

3) Realization

4) Perception

5) Chaos

6) Creation

RULES:
Your game will be judged in 3 areas.
Subject/Theme Inclusion: 0/50 points.

First your game will be graded on two scores. Each score has a maximum of 50 points.

The first 50 points are judged based on how many of the subjects and themes you can successfully translate into the game.

Overall Gameplay: 0/50 points.

The second 50 points judge the game itself. How well it's put together, mechanics, playability, everything. Games can be of any size or scope, there is no limitation or requirement in terms of how long the game is. It will be judged on a sense of "completeness" however so just keep that in mind.

Favorited: +10 points

Finally the judges are allowed to mark a single game as their top favorite, which will give it an additional 10 points to it's score.

All judges scores will be tallied and the scores will be posted here for everyone to see. Judges would be required to give a detailed account of why they believe the game got the scores it did and what they liked and didn't like about said game.

To recap if it sounds confusing. The maximum score a game can receive is 110 points. The score from each judge is added to a total for that game.

Game X : judge 1 60, judge 2 75, judge 3 100
Overall score for Game X: 235

Other Rules:
Breaking these means your game won't be eligible for winning the prize(s), you will still be ranked, however.

Teams are allowed, as is single player entries.

If you join a team you may also submit an entry of your own.

Games must be created from scratch/ground up. Libraries are allowed, pre-made artwork is allowed,but all other code must be created within the one week time frame.

No profanity included in the games.

No adult subject matter.

All submissions should be turned in within 2 hours after the contest's deadline or anytime before.

Judges:
Ease
Dariuc
Th3SQuiD
Neimo
Falcon lazorz

Submissions:
IMPORTANT:
All submissions should be turned in within 2 hours after the contest's deadline or anytime before.(This is due to slightly different time zones and meh, what's 2 hours?) Anything turned in after-wards will still be judged, it just won't be eligible for the prize(s).

Use sendspace or some other file upload service to upload your dmb and rsc files and e-mail the link to [email protected].

IMPORTANT Include GIAW in the subject and write the names of yourself and teammates in the body of the email.

Prizes

Prize distribution will be laid out within a few days, since there are still donations for the prize pool being taken at this time.

8/5/13-

1st place- 50% of prize pool.
2nd place- 30% of prize pool.
3rd place- 20% of prize pool
Oh wow what a genius idea don't give anyone any warning and instantly start a contest before anyone has time to prepare, whilst conversely revealing the themes early and letting people essentially cheat.

No profanity included in the games.
No adult subject matter.

Oh boo hoo I'm going to put "P.S willy" at the end of my credits just to spite you now.
In response to Rushnut
? This was posted last night.
There's a week's time to make a game. If you can make a game consistently in 2 days you shouldn't have a problem making a game in a week (in theory, I don't know you so yea maybe you would have trouble actually having a whole week to play with.)

3 hours is advance warning? It prevents this "cheating" you speak of. :)
In response to Rushnut
Also I'm going to ask a moderator to delete all non-contest related comments on this thread, I'd like to keep it clean so just fair warning if your comments disappear it's nothing personal guys. I don't want this snowballing into some flame war mud flop craze like things usually turn into.
That's completely understandable. If you can't find the time in a week to make a game for the contest then you probably don't have much time to devote to the contest anyway though, am I right?
I posted last night in the "Off Topic" section, at which point I was seeing if anyone wanted to contribute to the brainstorming process and that was considered "allowing people to cheat" because I was kicking ideas around.(or so a couple of people who happen to run in the same circles keep telling me.)
I got a few judges from that, so I made the contest. So your saying tell people about the contest weeks in advance even though the contest itself is a week long--just don't tell them the themes or topics.

I see your point, but if a person needs a week to clear their schedule just to make a game within a 7 day time frame-- once again it just seems as if they don't have enough time to devote to the contest.
You announce that there will be a contest, but you don't announce the themes until the contest begins. That's how you prevent cheating and still allow people time to prepare their day schedules to allow for such an event.
In response to FIREking
I didn't "announce" the themes, that's an assumption and misunderstanding on their part.

I made a post in the off topic section roughly 16 hours or so ago. The goal of that post was to get this "community" to kick around ideas for what they would like to see in a game contest in terms of the themes. Since no one really added to what I had already come up with - I went with my ideas and started up the contest today (which was my intention from the beginning.)

Anyway enough about that I'm not here to defend my actions, nor should I have to.
And people have 7 days. Not just one. I'm saying whatever point you are trying to make is lost on me. If they make a game in 16 hours based off of the brainstorming process of this contest -more power to them. You and I both know- the chances of that happening are astronomically low and next to non existent.

Secondly, there's 7 days in the contest, a full week. What discontent could you possibly have? You don't have a point.

Third, 5 judges. Each judge can score a maximum of 110.
That would make the total 550. Any other questions or comments I need to attend to?
In response to Dariuc
Dariuc wrote:
Third, 5 judges. Each judge can score a maximum of 110.
That would make the total 550. Any other questions or comments I need to attend to?

Fair enough, my bad, you first said "three areas of critique" then 50 points. I didn't read much passed that and thought you meant there'd be 50 points awarded for each area of critique.
Maybe.
Contest has officially started. Another update, the prize pool will most likely increase as well. @ 50 dollars or greater the breakdown will be 50% to first place, 30% to second place and 20% to third place. I'm thinking Most favorited game may also get a prize but not decided just yet.
Shit I started programming like an hour ago am I DQ'd now?
Nope.
I will try to find the time. No guarantees. I guess you can count me in, but I may not get an entry in.
Fair enough, I know the feeling. I tried to enter a few of the other contests. My thought processes tend to be a bit too ambitious though. Good luck
Well, I've thrown my name in the hat on a number of these contests, and never managed to finish one. But I do have an idea I like, and a week gives me time to work around my crappy schedule, so... I'm in.
Good deal, added you to the contestants.
I'd join but I'm not sure I have the energy to jump into another Game In A X so soon, sorry!
I don't join GiaX contests, but I'd like to wish both the current and upcoming participants good luck. I do get the feeling that this contest might be happening too soon, but maybe it'll turn out well?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6