ID:1344962

Well seeing as i haven't posted much art on BYOND in some time(Years now) i thought i would try doing some resources, But what would be helpful is the question.

(This post does not include 4 sided 3/4 perspective base icons, They are the death of this subforum.)
Not directed specifically towards you, but more in general (and it happens to apply here); but I think that everyone on here that wants to provide some resource, needs to find someone else that is requesting some resource, and offer your services to that person.

If you're good at making icons, find someone on here requesting icons, and draw their game for them!

If you are good at making sounds (or music), then find someone requesting those.

Etc.

I dislike the idea of artists making general-use resource packs, and just publishing them publicly. That can only lead to multiple games using the same resources, and that will get boring.

I don't want to see a half dozen games using "Ghris-g1's icon pack!" I want to see one of these potentially-promising up-and-coming games (that have a competent programmer, that can't make art) with "original graphics by Chris-g1!"
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
I can see your point but you might also want to consider that placeholders are an important part of the development process. With enough free resources you can program and map ect way ahead of where your pixel artist is allowing them to work at their own pace, or allowing you to work without a pixel artist while you try to develop something that might attract attention and potentially get a pixel artist to join with you. (this is my hope & dream I guess)

back on topic I think there is a little bit of a lack of cave & cliff tilesets publicly available if you wanted to take a swing at that.
In response to Lifehunter
Lifehunter wrote:
I can see your point but you might also want to consider that placeholders are an important part of the development process. With enough free resources you can program and map ect way ahead of where your pixel artist is allowing them to work at their own pace, or allowing you to work without a pixel artist while you try to develop something that might attract attention and potentially get a pixel artist to join with you. (this is my hope & dream I guess)

Thats true, but there already are tons of resources. It's redundant to make what is already there. But Chris is the artist so he makes what he wants. I'd suggest making an urban turf set, maybe buildings, shops, etc.

I agree with SSGX, look at RPG Maker, a lot of games for that engine look exactly alike, because they use the graphics that come with the engine. Granted, RPG Maker has quite a few more games than BYOND from what I've seen, perhaps thats because the game makers (I dont think they even have to program most things,) can just code and one day hope to get an artist interested.

However.. public sounds may be a good thing. Not many games use sounds from what I can see, maybe that would change.