ID:1347324

Poll: Would you play a game that "requires" you to grind?

Yes 16% (4)
No 83% (20)

Login to vote.

I was looking at rise of the pirates, and in being a one piece fan (from which the game is loosely based) I was excited to play it when it was released. I had fun for a while up until I reached a certain level and realized all the missions consisted of killing large numbers of random mobs like snakes in order to level up. What really bothered me is that my player was between level 30 and level 40. I came across someone who was level 300 and instantly killed me. I wasn't about to waste hours upon hours grinding on snake mobs so that I could fight against guys hundreds of levels higher than myself, so I quit.

Despite these annoyances I see people still play it. For those of you that enjoy these kinds of games, how is it fun to you? For those of you that are developing your own games, what design choices do you make to prevent something like this from happening, and if you are making this kind of system what would posses you to do such a thing?
Personally I just got over the grind fest type games. I don't find it interesting at all, not even when they offer up rare drops.

I like to add alot of variety, or atleast keep the number of kills/collections down to a minimum but of course it depends on the developer. Some use that as a means to keep people actively playing a game, I usually can identify those types of tasks, and for me it's a bit of a turn off. I like for my games to be fluid. If I have to stop and level up for 1-3 hours to reach a new area-- to me it just isn't worth the time investment- but that's coming from someone who has literally done it to death already.
Most "grindy" games where you see people who play it have friends who "level boost" them to save them time, and is usually the only reason they play it.
It's the same reason I could never get into WoW. I hate grinding, I can't sit for hours on end trying to get a level up. Then on top of that you need to find equipment just so you can continue your grinding experience...But that is the downside, those who grind harder are certain to take out anyone below their level. It can be fun when the game is just starting out but to the people who never find the time to play it gets old quick.
This is a very vague category. Grinding to me is just doing things over and over again. This can be true for hell.. most of the games and tasks in the world. The difference here is that barely anything changes as you grind.

For a final fantasy game, as an example, theres usually very mild grinding, with a lot of story and changing going on throughout. In games like BYOND's rips and...well.. a lot of the anime games, it's characterless grinding; hit logs over and over... and over... and..

You get the point.

I dislike grinding when it doesn't come packed with story, changes, new things to do.. etc.