ID:134761

I could've sworn this was posted, but I found nothing in the search.

I think a useful feature would be that banning someone via pager would still allow the person to log into any games you host (default would be left as it is now, serving as a gameban too)

Not everyone who hosts a game is the programmer for it, so leaving that up to the developer to make for the specific action can't always be relied on. Plus, there's been a few instances before where when I hosted something, I would've liked to pagerban someone while not keeping him out of the game (as he would've done nothing wrong there) yet not feel required to turn my pager off altogether, in case people not on my buddy list would need to contact me for whatever reason.

Anyone else's thoughts?
Sarm wrote:
Plus, there's been a few instances before where when I hosted something, I would've liked to pagerban someone while not keeping him out of the game (as he would've done nothing wrong there) yet not feel required to turn my pager off altogether, in case people not on my buddy list would need to contact me for whatever reason.

This doesn't make sense to me, what is the person doing that you don't want to talk to them on the pager? There's an option to let non-members send you pages if even if you didn't page them first. The only reason I see for not wanting them to page you anymore is if they were spamming you or just annoying you over the pager. If that's the case, why not ban them from your game or uncheck that option in your member settings? If they were spamming or annoying you over the pager, then they can face the consequences. It's not like you are two different people in-game and over the pager.
In response to Justin Knight
My example was over something like mass-invites to join some other game.

Maybe I'm just crazy when I think that the way someone acts outside of a game shouldn't be punishable in-game. :-/
In response to Sarm
People respond to my game invites, but I don't see the problem in that. Most people don't even pay attention to invites, and what I have seen is those that respond usually are going to join the game. I've gotten pages saying people will join it later, and a few asking a question about the game. What are they paging you about that you don't want to receive?
In response to Justin Knight
It's not just abot the invites. It was the repetitiveness of them. Every now and then, someone would send a big bunch of STAs about a game he was hosting, but would periodically come onto the game and act perfectly fine.

I was also hoping that this would double for instances where people would host a game and go AFK, so that the pagerban wouldn't impose on anyone who can behave himself in-game, but was unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end of a trigger-happy pagerbanner, or something...I just didn't see the reason in FORCING pagerbans to double as gamebans no matter what. I can see the use in it, but came off as a sort of "reverse-feature" to begin with, I guess.
You can do this simply by editing the keyban.txt file from your cfg directory, and putting in &Login=1 (the capital L matters) at the end of the line for their ban. It'd be nice if there was a quicker means of doing this, though.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Maybe someone could write an app. that would edit the text file to your needs. A pagerban program that allows you to enter in the reason, login boolean and stuff easily.
In response to Elation
Give me twenty minutes.

EDIT:

Mm, would you mind telling me what the 'reason' is for? Is it for you to put in why you pager banned the user, or does it serve some other purpose? (Currently, they all have a reason of "pager+ban")
In response to Crashed
Lummox! We need you, you are our only hope...

Basically when Crashed's app adds something to the text file manually BYOND just uses the old, un-edited list. How does BYOND add info to the ban list text file when you click "add"?

What is it doing?

[Oct 11 17:54] Crashed: When I add someone using the pager-banning functions, it adds them to the list.
[Oct 11 17:54] Crashed: When I delete someone using the pager-banning functions, it deletes them from the list.
[Oct 11 17:54] Crashed: When I add someone manually by editing the text, it doesn't add them in the pager list.
In response to Crashed
Crashed wrote:
Give me twenty minutes.

EDIT:

Mm, would you mind telling me what the 'reason' is for? Is it for you to put in why you pager banned the user, or does it serve some other purpose? (Currently, they all have a reason of "pager+ban")

Ostensibly it's to explain the reason for the ban. No system in BYOND actually displays that info, but you could actually access it in world.IsBanned(). As for me I use it to keep straight several of the people I've banned under (literally) dozens of keys, such as Lucas Gates or a certain Canadian. (Mostly I keep the Luke ban up to date just to keep track of his mammoth key list.)

Lummox JR
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:
Lummox! We need you, you are our only hope...

Basically when Crashed's app adds something to the text file manually BYOND just uses the old, un-edited list. How does BYOND add info to the ban list text file when you click "add"?

What is it doing?

[Oct 11 17:54] Crashed: When I add someone using the pager-banning functions, it adds them to the list.
[Oct 11 17:54] Crashed: When I delete someone using the pager-banning functions, it deletes them from the list.
[Oct 11 17:54] Crashed: When I add someone manually by editing the text, it doesn't add them in the pager list.

The actual pager bans are handled by a different system, on the hub, which is why modifying the file doesn't affect your actual pager bans. keyban.txt is merely for keeping some info about the ban client-side for reference, and for little things like determining if you want to allow them in your game.

Lummox JR