ID:134900

In a future version, could somone please update the icon editor?

What needs to be included is:
1. A spray tool (Handy for doing turfs)
2. Resizable canvas (Lets face it, making multi tiled mobs is annoying)
3. A grid (Helps to be more symmetrical)

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I/others might have somthing to add to the list.
You do realise that remaking Dream Maker's relatively easy(Besides swap and locate)? At least making a single state non-movie icon. So my point is that you can add in lots of cool functions yourself.
In response to DeathAwaitsU
No, but thats not the point.

If someone was to make it so the canvas was resizable. You would still have to split them up, and sow them together your self.

The spray tool would just make life a hell of a lot easyer to make turfs, rather than doing it in an external program. And then copying it over.
Smoko wrote:
2. Resizable canvas (Lets face it, making multi tiled

Do you mean a larger drawing space, such as 64x64, which lets you draw onto four seperate icon states at once and alters them all accordingly? That would be interesting.

If, on the other hand, you are asking to have actual icon states of different sizes, that won't come for a while, I don't think.
The icon editor in my oppinion, needs A LOT of work. Your suggestions are good, I also suggest:

SWAP ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for entire icon states, instead of changing the color of the entire icon.
Uhg, Man, when you use stuff like overlays for clothes and such, and you want to do it manually (yes, i know you can do it otherwise, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't add this command.)

Allow you to see what it looks like next to others of itself. You can do this by doing the preview thing and displaying a 9 tile preview of it. Only do this if the person checks the option to, though, because it generally wouldn't be used THAT often.

Show coordinates on the side of the icon editor. I hate having to look at the "4,17" thing at the bottom, because you have to look for it. It would generally just help out.

Fix the bug that makes it so when you rotate a non-perfectly selected square, it screws the image that is selected up. I always have to create new icon states/more frames to flip things, it's annoying.

Smoko's suggestion to allow you to have a larger canvas that gets cut into icon_states afterwards is a great idea. It is quite annoying to have to use another program.
In response to Smoko
Smoko wrote:
The spray tool would just make life a hell of a lot easyer to make turfs, rather than doing it in an external program. And then copying it over.

What's the point of having a spray tool to do turfs? Points placed with care looks much better than random splotches of colour. Especially with grass.
In response to Kunark
To add to that, I'd like to see undo be able to undo more than just the previous command.
In response to Jon88
How about being able to stop movie at the very end intsead of it looping.

Instead of just a square for the curser. How about a circle also.

In response to DeathAwaitsU
DeathAwaitsU wrote:
To add to that, I'd like to see undo be able to undo more than just the previous command.

I agree, but add that to the map editor as well
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
Smoko wrote:

What's the point of having a spray tool to do turfs? Points placed with care looks much better than random splotches of colour. Especially with grass.

Yeah, but in the short amount of time I tried to actual make icons, I found it easier to use spray for grass and then going and recoloring the splotches.
In response to Blakdragon77
Blakdragon77 wrote:
How about being able to stop movie at the very end intsead of it looping.

Easy:

flick("movie",src)
src.icon_state = "endframe"

Make the "endframe" state a copy of the last frame in the "movie" state.
In response to Kunark
As long as we're on this subject, how about placing a one-pixel white line around that crosshair like Paint does with its' tools? I keep losing it when dealing with darker things.
I have been revamping the icon format to make it more easily editable by third-party tools (Photoshop, PaintShopPro, etc). Hopefully that will allow for more complex editing. We don't really have time to futz with the DM icon editor right now.
In response to Tom
Heh, Sound good. Any chance of going more in detail.

Please? :P
In response to Smoko
You know would be nice? An auto center thingy, gets annoying to check if the icon is exactly in the middle.
In response to Tom
In light of this I've started work on this.

It does so much already, all I need is a sample of the new DMI to insert it, and it'll be already better than the current icon editor. (Sorry, Tom!)
In response to HordeStar
Especially when they don't have an exact center :P
It would be a nice feature to be able to copy multiple frames such as 4 movement states from the NORTH and copy and paste all 4 of them at the same time into another icon.
In response to Mike H
Alright, Thanks.