Murder Mansion

by SuperSaiyanGokuX
Murder Mansion
Not for the faint of heart...
ID:1355342

Alright, here's the official Murder Mansion 10th Anniversary Edition Bugfix update! (1 of ?)

This actually took a lot longer than I had intended, because I kept stumbling on more little things I wanted to tweak, and then I went ahead and added in a new feature that I had put off from the official update. But anyway, here it is!

And here's a list of changes/fixes/improvements (Special Thanks to CodeWeasel22 for reporting many of these, and making a few cool suggestions):

1) Sleeping (and locking bedroom doors) was broken due to a last-minute rename of the bedroom /areas, which caused the "is this my bedroom" checks to fail.

2) Power switches were not working after the first round.

3) Would not always allow subscribers to select the weather when selecting the map.

4) Costumes were not preventing output of distinguishing traits (like facial features, body type, etc.)

5) "runtime error: Cannot read null.BloodMultiplier"

6) Starting an Escape round on the Neighborhood map caused players in the green, gold, or silver rooms (houses) to smash through a bedroom window and take damage during round start-up. (sounds like a pretty funny bug, huh? all because of some erroneously placed pathing objects on the map)

7) AI addition was happening before human players were asked to enter round; this caused system to add AI, even if there were enough human players and the AI count was set to 0.

8) Zombies (special Escape mode option) were slowing the game to non-responsive. The major problems have been fixed, and their AI corrected to speed things up. Things are still a little slow (40+ mobs roaming the map will do that!), but the game is at a playable speed now.

9) AI sped up (perhaps only marginally). In addition to the fixes specific to the zombies, I made a few adjustments overall to the AI to speed them (and the game) up.

10) Deaths caused by pushing, slipping on oil spills, and poisoning now credited to the source of such actions (before, you could push someone off a roof to their death, but you would not be carried through as the killer)

11) Another special alternate mode has been added to the Escape mode (similar to the zombie mode, but a slightly different theme)

12) The rule that only the player who selected the map could start a round has been relaxed in the event that said player was no longer logged in. The permanent server (Thanks, Flame Sage!) was getting hung up by people selecting a map, then leaving. Effectively locking the game up.

13) And a lot of other little tweaks and fixes that I can't remember now.

Enjoy! And as always, feedback is welcome, and keep reporting anything else that's broken!
Awesome.
This is to announce that I've just uploaded bugfix/improvements update #2!

Here's the List!

1) Voting system fixed! It should now actually allow people to vote. (to boot players, abort the round, etc.)

2) Exploit of standing under doorways so you can't be clicked has been taken care of (open door icons are no longer mouse_opaque)

3) Speaking of doors... They're now not nearly as annoying with repeating sound effects. It should now just play the sound once.

4) Using the phone to call in an accusation now will list all players in the round, dead or not. I was unaware that it was only listing live players, which gives you a chance to narrow down your choices...

5) I've added number-key shortcut macros to get to items in your actions list. Press 0-9 (well, 1-9, plus 0 standing in for 10) to instantly switch to the item at that spot in the list (hitting a number higher than the number of items you're carrying will jump you to the last item)

But bigger than all of that...

Murder Mansion's interface is now updated! All text has been split into several different panes (you've probably seen my posts on the matter), and this will hopefully make it much easier to keep up with the flow of text. The final design is still up for discussion, but this is what I'm currently favoring, so check it out and tell me what you love/hate about it!

[Edit:] Oh, and the switch to the text output also comes with a new communication verb, OOC(). All players who are currently ghosts will have their text automatically go to the OOC tab, but active players can also use this special command (escape from the default Say() verb to use it!) that will allow them to output text to the OOC box during the round.
Annnnnd... update #3 is up!

This one fixes some bugs that were introduced by one of the previous "bugfix" releases (for example, killing the murderer now correctly registers and ends the round!)

I've also taken another step to smooth the camera movement (I'm sorry to those of you that hate it, but it is likely here to stay; I will do my best to make it as smooth as possible, though!) Previously, the dummy object that the client eye was attached to was using walk_to() to move itself when you move or interact with something. (a turf is found a few tiles ahead of you, and the eye is told to walk_to() that turf.

Well anyway, walk_to() was being used with no use of its extra arguments. I've now thrown in a step lag of 1 and a "speed"/step size of 4. I don't know, but it looks much smoother/less jarring to me now.

This update also brings a few small "glitz" additions/improvements. The title screen is now populated by some invisible objects that generate some random blood splatters at world start/round end. And I've greatly improved the item overlay effect (where your current active item is displayed as an overlay on the target) I moved it away from an overlay, and it now uses images. I also animated it by giving it a zoom-down and increasing alpha fade-in (the first "frame" is blown up and mostly transparent, second "frame" is slightly smaller and more opaque, final "frame" is normal size, and full opacity) And it's done without the new animate() effects in version 500! (I haven't yet upgraded... waiting to make sure we've got a stable version)