ID:135814

We are getting ready to undergo a change in our network structure where I host Dragon Warrior Online. Our ISP is wanting us to move all of our servers back into our internal LAN and have the firewall at their office translate the interal IP to an external IP while only allowing in-bound traffic on certain ports. From my experience with play with BYOND/DreamDaemon in the past on our internal LAN, I have been unable to speak to BYOND's server for authentication or hub (pager) usage. What port(s) besides the one the game is being hosted on are needed for DreamDaemon to work properly?
CableMonkey wrote:
We are getting ready to undergo a change in our network structure where I host Dragon Warrior Online. Our ISP is wanting us to move all of our servers back into our internal LAN and have the firewall at their office translate the interal IP to an external IP while only allowing in-bound traffic on certain ports. From my experience with play with BYOND/DreamDaemon in the past on our internal LAN, I have been unable to speak to BYOND's server for authentication or hub (pager) usage. What port(s) besides the one the game is being hosted on are needed for DreamDaemon to work properly?

You can configure this; I believe the setting is "pager-port". At the moment, I think you have to write this value into the server cfg file, although I know that in newer (likely unreleased) versions pager settings go into a separate cfg. I don't have access to the code at the moment but I can find out the details this evening and get back to you.
In response to Tom
Does the authenitication server ever initiate a connection back to DreamDaemon? ...or does DreamDaemon initiate all communications?

I think our ISP did something really weird on this segment of IP addresses we are on.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
You can configure this; I believe the setting is "pager-port". At the moment, I think you have to write this value into the server cfg file, although I know that in newer (likely unreleased) versions pager settings go into a separate cfg. I don't have access to the code at the moment but I can find out the details this evening and get back to you.

It looks like this value is being retrieved from the configuration file: $HOME/.byond/cfg/pager.txt

Try setting pager-port to some open port on your machine and seeing if that works. You could also try turning hub authentication off by compiling your world with client/authenticate = 0, if you are still having trouble with connections.

I am admittedly not very knowledgeable about the network intrinsics here, but will investigate further as time permits. Dan is the resident expert but he is pretty preoccupied at the moment. If you would like, I could forward your query along to him.
In response to Tom
Thanks Tom. I won't be able to try this until the guy who runs the firewall at our ISP sends me an email stating that we are ready to move the servers. I expect that email any day now.
In response to Tom
Well...they changed the setup, and its is not working. :-(

I'm hosting Dragon Warrior Online on port 2047 on my Windows box at the moment on the new address. I have ports 2045, 2046 (unused), and 2047 all open through the firewall. I set the pager to talk through port 2045 in DreakSeeker, but it refuses to connect still. Looks like I'm just out of luck.

[edit]

From netstat, I get:

<code>
Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
  TCP    dhogan:3536            basic-argon.dantom.dreamservers.com:80  TIME_WAIT
  TCP    dhogan:3537            basic-argon.dantom.dreamservers.com:80  TIME_WAIT
  TCP    dhogan:3556            hub.dantom.com:6001    SYN_SENT
</code>

...and the pager port setting is set to "2045".
In response to CableMonkey
Our ISP had blocked all traffic on port 6001 at the router level which apparently is the port that is used for authentication. I'm preparing to make the changeover now.

Thanks for all the help.