ID:1360227

What would you prefer?

1. A game more realistic - no magic/fire coming from yours hands and more orientated around real life.

2. A game mostly shifted into the fantasy zone with a couple slices of life - e.g. Fire coming from hands, but school etc.

Just collecting some more info :3

No fighting, trolling - the usual plox.

Gogogogo comment below.
2 :3
hmm realistic I guess
hmm..maybe 1? I'm not sure because i like both of them lol! :3 so yeah, i say both.
Real Life sucks j/s.
xD Ty Guys.
My vote is definitely fantasy. I don't play games to do the same crap I could do in real life. I want to shoot fireballs, or fly, or command giant monsters, or use healing potions, etc.
Hehe I see. Ty!
In response to BornASaiyan23
BornASaiyan23 wrote:
Real Life sucks j/s.

It's amazing what you can make a game out of. Try Xgen's Stick RPG. Living the life of a stick figure that works out, studies and gets a job.

Real life can suck, sometimes.. But you can take some reasonably interesting parts out, package them in an interesting way and you have a decent little game.
Agreed :D ^

But I would make an action-adventure game, because I'm more into adventuring, treasure hunting, PvP, and PvE than I am into schooling.
Why present an ultimatum? Do what you think is best; personally I'd enjoy a mixture of both. I'm a huge fan of 'realism' but I'd also not want to play some kind of simulator. I enjoy fiction and fantasy if it's fun.

And that's what you should focus on; fun.
Yeah I think simulation isn't always fun. It can be.. But in my opinion games are more about imitating reality, simplifying and embellishing it rather than simulating it.

Not to say pure simulators aren't fun but they're another story.
My only problem with making a Fantasy Game is the typical "Fire User, Earth User" etc etc.

Any ideas on how to make it unique and different?
Myabe you could have the fantasy elements hinge more on a "ki"/"force"/whatever form of power that can be used for multiple purposes? Not like "can shoot fireballs", but more like "can increase the heat of an object/person, which might set it/them on fire"

But more than that, the same "energy" could be used to materialize objects, move objects, and otherwise alter objects and the surroundings.

Maybe even take a cue from the magic system in the Inheritance (Eragon) series of books. They can use magic to perform just about any task they can imagine, but every task takes a certain level of energy (which comes from their own reserve). If a magic user casts a spell that is "over their head" (say, lift up a mountain), it can actually kill them.
In response to Kboy33
Kboy33 wrote:
My only problem with making a Fantasy Game is the typical "Fire User, Earth User" etc etc.

Unique doesn't make a game fun. Different doesn't make a game fun. Look at the top 100 games on the mobile phone markets. Very few of them are doing a single thing different than anyone else.

What makes a game good is the execution of the control scheme, the gameplay itself, the meta-reward cycle, etc. Above all else, you risk failure when you try to make things that are too different, because you risk alienating players. Your best bet is to make something "like X", but with a few tweaks.

You also need to realize, and I can't stress it enough: that YOU ARE A NOVICE GAME DESIGNER! This means that no matter how much you think you know about what games are going to be successful and why, you are more than likely going to be wrong. Smarter and more experienced people than you work in the game development industry. If nobody's tried X/Y/Z feature yet, it's probably because it either isn't worth the effort, or just plain isn't a good idea.

99% of ideas a game designer has are bad. What sets apart a good designer from a bad designer is not the quality of their ideas, but their ability to determine ahead of time whether an idea is bad. Pursing bad ideas isn't all bad --it is a learning experience, but if you can learn to spot bad ideas out of the box, and figure out why they are bad ideas, you will be ahead of the curve without having to spend your time finding out why the idea is bad.

Likewise, some ideas are so common that they become "tropes". Tropes are cliche because they work, they are familiar, and people, generally enjoy them. In some cases, novelty can be less unique and enjoyable than cliche. In many cases, people will buy cliche instead of buying novel. This is primarily because they can relate to a product that is similar to something they already know and know they like.

In short, don't EVER worry about unique. It's completely worthless to do so, and will almost always lead you down the wrong road.

If you do wind up with an idea that's unique, it needs to be good. Good ideas and unique ideas are not mutually exclusive, and to a more experienced and observant developer, unique, good ideas are often once-in-a-lifetime affairs. Some can do it consistently, but the majority will be lucky to even have one in their entire career. You, me, and the rest of these clowns probably aren't that lucky.

Learn first, invent later.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Kboy33 wrote:

Unique doesn't make a game fun. Different doesn't make a game fun. Look at the top 100 games on the mobile phone markets. Very few of them are doing a single thing different than anyone else.

What makes a game good is the execution of the control scheme, the gameplay itself, the meta-reward cycle, etc. Above all else, you risk failure when you try to make things that are too different, because you risk alienating players. Your best bet is to make something "like X", but with a few tweaks.

You also need to realize, and I can't stress it enough: that YOU ARE A NOVICE GAME DESIGNER! This means that no matter how much you think you know about what games are going to be successful and why, you are more than likely going to be wrong. Smarter and more experienced people than you work in the game development industry. If nobody's tried X/Y/Z feature yet, it's probably because it either isn't worth the effort, or just plain isn't a good idea.

99% of ideas a game designer has are bad. What sets apart a good designer from a bad designer is not the quality of their ideas, but their ability to determine ahead of time whether an idea is bad. Pursing bad ideas isn't all bad --it is a learning experience, but if you can learn to spot bad ideas out of the box, and figure out why they are bad ideas, you will be ahead of the curve without having to spend your time finding out why the idea is bad.

Likewise, some ideas are so common that they become "tropes". Tropes are cliche because they work, they are familiar, and people, generally enjoy them. In some cases, novelty can be less unique and enjoyable than cliche. In many cases, people will buy cliche instead of buying novel. This is primarily because they can relate to a product that is similar to something they already know and know they like.

In short, don't EVER worry about unique. It's completely worthless to do so, and will almost always lead you down the wrong road.

If you do wind up with an idea that's unique, it needs to be good. Good ideas and unique ideas are not mutually exclusive, and to a more experienced and observant developer, unique, good ideas are often once-in-a-lifetime affairs. Some can do it consistently, but the majority will be lucky to even have one in their entire career. You, me, and the rest of these clowns probably aren't that lucky.

Learn first, invent later.

Thank you for your post. However, I don't think it's fair to classify us as "Clowns". In addition to this, I never said I was a professional game designer; where you tugged that rope from, I have no idea.

My main point is to add something "Good" and Unique to the game(s). I know the reason why such and such has not been tried/used before, however the reason I go for this is because I have some type of bright light syndrome towards games with unique features. Example - Age of Wushu; Kidnapping and the fact that when offline, your character still moves around; Some Naruto BYOND Games also differ from each other which bring me towards them; DU despite its awful community, it has some neat features.

I plan to do things wisely and yes, I will take your advice. I just thought that I would give you a little insight on why asked for what I did in my previous post.

I've already started progress on this project and I've done quite a bit. Though I am still changing it with every bit of advice I receive!

Thank you for your post. However, I don't think it's fair to classify us as "Clowns".

If that's all you took away from that, you completely missed the point. My point wasn't to deride you and the rest of us. The clowns remark was a tongue-in-cheek article of exaggeration for the sake of effect.

Kidnapping and the fact that when offline, your character still moves around;

Not unique. It's been done a number of times, and is mostly avoided due to the lack of actual purpose to the latter.

Some Naruto BYOND Games also differ from each other which bring me towards them; DU despite its awful community.

Pretty much all the anime games on this site these days are examples of everything you should not be doing.

I don't mean to be overly negative, here, but it's hard to come across positively in response to the polar opposite of what's going to actually put your talents to good use.
I guess I'll have to do the old Trial and Error. I'm too stubborn to change as of yet.